Sunday, October 23, 2011

Robin Wells - How to Score

Museum curator Sammi Matthews isn't just in a dating slump, she's putting men on the injured list. After giving one date a black eye and cracking another's rib, Sammi decides she needs professional help. Enter life coach Luke Jones, who advises Sammi on how to overcome her klutziness. And their phone sessions work! Sammi soon meets a sexy FBI agent who seems to know just what she needs.
When his brother Luke goes into federal protection, FBI Special Agent Chase Jones agrees to cover for him. Then Sammi's hot voice sizzles down the line, and the usual "phone only" rule is out. With "Luke" coaching her by day, and Chase dating her by night, Sammi's confidence soars, along with her appeal. Chase falls hard, but how will Sammi feel if and when he comes clean? Chase would rather she break all his bones than risk breaking her heart.



Comment: This book is just another proof why I stay away from contemporaries, but once in a while I think I'll be proved wrong and there I go.
This book has a great blurb and I thought I was going to get a funny story. However the main reason I've picked the book was because of the plot. I read somewhere the heroine didn't think much of herself and part of the plot was to see how that would change. I pictured right away lots of scenarios where the protagonists would fall in love, the things that were going to happen before they admitted it, but...once again I ended up resigned. The heroine had some lack of confidence but that didn't appear as vital, I didn't see anything to match the description of "didn't think much of herself". She had some problems but nothing to gain my sympathy. I just wanted a story where she was shy and had real issues and after meeting the hero things would slowly develop. No, there were some interesting things but overall I ended up disappointed.
The writing is ok, some scenes were interesting and one of the things in the plot was indeed funny, but this wasn't what I thought I was going to get.
Not all contemporary women are confident, have interesting or glamorous jobs or think of sex all the time (not that the heroine here did), but it seems the main motto for almost all contemporary stories. I want something different, something in the lines of what I thought I was going to get, but still a romance. I wonder if it's out there and I can't find it...
In the end, I had some good time reading the book by Mrs Wells, but not enough to repeat the dose with another book.

No comments:

Post a Comment