Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dianne Duvall - Darkness Dawns

Once, Sarah Bingham's biggest challenge was making her students pay attention in class. Now, after rescuing a wounded stranger, she's landed in the middle of a battle between corrupt vampires and powerful immortals who also need blood to survive. Roland Warbrook is the most compelling man Sarah has ever laid hands on. But his desire for her is mingled with a hunger he can barely control...
In his nine centuries of immortal existence, no woman has tempted Roland as much as Sarah. But asking her to love him is impossible -- when it means forfeiting the world she's always known, and the life he would do anything to protect...



Comment: A friend of mine has read this book and told me it reminded her of Sherrilyn Kenyon's dark-hunter series. I was quite anxious to see if I thought the same but only this month I could get to it.
Well, I must say I didn't find it that similar to SK's series, because the writing and style are so different I only thought about the closeness of plots because she has said so...
Roland is an Immortal someone whose DNA code makes him a good host for being a vampire without the blood lust of the madness. Like him there are others and al of them meet Seth, a very old immortal that trains them and helps them dealing with the new aspects of their vampire lives. Does this remind you of something? Right. But the similarities stop there, I think.
The author's style is simple but I don't think the world is developped at its maximum, so it feels like there's something missing in there, which means it looks like it's too plain. I'm sure it's not and we'll see more in the following books. Well, I hope we will because the storyline in this book has everything to work out.
Sarah is the human who helps Roland and there's instant attraction between them. Iliked they didn't have sex the first day they met - is that believable in any genre?? - and their romance was both sweet and interesting. I can't wait to see more of them in the next books.
I think the descriptions of all the main charaters are well done, and all have some mystery to make us eager to read more.
This book didn't dazzle me like it did to my friend, who told me about it in a very enthusiastic conversation, but to me it's good enough to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment