Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Nora Roberts - Tribute

Cilia McGowan, a former child star, has found a more satisfying life restoring homes. So she comes to Virginia's Shenandoah Valley to save the dilapidated farmhouse that once belonged to her grandmother -- a legendary actress who died of an overdose more than thirty years ago.
Plunging into the project with gusto, Cilia's almost too busy and exhausted to notice her neighbor, graphic novelist Ford Sawyer. Determined not to carry on the family tradition of ill-fated romances, Cilia steels herself against Ford's quirky charm, though she can't help indulging in a little fantasy.
But it's reality that holds its share of dangers for Cilia. A cache of unsigned letters found in the attic points to a mysterious romance in her grandmother's life -- and may be the catalyst for a frightening, violent assault. And if Cilia and Ford are unable to sort out who is targeting her and why, she may, like her world-famous grandmother. be cut down in the prime of her life
.

Comment: Once in a while I have the need to read a book by Nora Roberts, the author who set me up in the world of romance (before her I'd read anything but didn't look for romance per se).
This time I've decided to read Tribute, a book some friends had read before and enjoyed. It also helped they said the hero is very likable.
So, in this story Cilla is restoring, flipping, her grandma's old house because she wants to live there. While cleaning some things she discovers some letters and finds out her grandmother was pregnant when she died but there's nomention of the baby's father in the letters. However, with workers gossip, somehow, someone knows about this and wants to keep things a secret...
I think the mistery part was interesting but not the best thing she's done. I mean, I'm pretty slow in finding out who the bad guy is, in any suspense, but in this book is became rather obvious. Besides the reasons behind all seemed very selfish, but well being selfish is human right?
The romance between the protagonists was good, I liked how slow paced it was, they took their time and the dialogue was very good. I think Ford is really a good guy, I didn't find anyhting about him I didn't like. But perhaps he was a bit too happy, he was always in a good mood. I can't help but compare him to Simon, the hero from The Search, the latest book I had read read by the author, someone moody and sarcastic. I don't know why but I liked him more.
I was surprised to see there wasn't a secondary romance, one of the author's trademarks...I confess I was expecting it.
Of course it's interesting that everyone who matters is professionally accomplished in every way, but I guess that no one would like to read about lazy people...
All in all, it wasn't the best book but it wasn't as bad as some of the ones I really disliked. This is still an auto buy author to me, so I can't wait to get my hands in more of her stories.

2 comments:

  1. I remember this book. She was restoring the mansion and he was a cartoonist or a graphic artist, right? I agree with you on this one 100%, not her best -- just okay. Nora is still an auto buy for me too though. :)

    I liked Simon a lot more too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Hilcia, that's it. :)

    I think Simon is one of her best male protagonists in suspense. It will be difficult to beat him in this type of books...let's see what she comes up with in future books!

    ReplyDelete