Sunday, February 26, 2012

Kelley Armstrong - Bitten

Elena Michaels seems like the typically strong and sexy modern woman. She lives with her architect boyfriend, writes for a popular newspaper, and works out at the gym. She's also a werewolf. Elena has done all she can to assimilate to the human world, but the man whose bite changed her existence forever, and his legacy, continue to haunt her. Thrown into a desperate war for survival that tests her allegiance to a secret clan of werewolves, Elena must reckon with who, and what, she is in this passionate, page-turning novel.

Comment: I've read this book because it was one of the chosen ones by a book club I participate in. This is the story of Elena, a werewolf bitten against her will. Since it happened she has developped insecurities and after gained some control over her condition she tries to live as human, near humans and looks for peace. One day though, she gets a call from her former alpha and returns to the place where everything happened to help them and perhaps sever ties completely. What Elena didn't count on was the problems and the attacks on the pack members that would follow and her decison would have to be made sooner and faster...

I liked the writing a lot. The author has made a compelling story, a bit different from the usual in werewolves because Elena didn't want to be one and fought this with all her strenght until she had no other option to avoid hurting other people. The pace was also good, in each chapter something was happening and I was curiously intrigued with what was happening. Now, the thing with this story, to me, was the fact I disliked Elena tremendously. And to help with things, the book was told in first person, Elena's POV. Why did I disliked Elena so much? She is one of the most selfish characters I've read about. She acts in a certain way that although I udnerstand, I don't think it's correct. She has issues yes, she still doesn't know what to do with the fact she's a werewolf, she has doubts and fears, I get all that, but she behaves in a certain way and I think it's morally irresponsible. In real life I think things like what she did probably happen more often than not, but in a book I'd have liked her to come to terms about it sooner. And she doesn't.
Apparently in the following book in this series she takes a no-going-back final decision. But this means in this book it's really difficult to see her position and accept it. Well, to me at least.
I will read the next book not much because I care for her growing up emotionally (at this point I don't give a d*** about it), but because some characters are promising and I'm eager to know more about some of the secondary ones. I just hope it's better than this one. However, tis won't happen so soon, but according to what some people have said to me, I'll like Elena in the second book...but right now it seems unlikely. I still recommend the book for the writing which is really good; and, perhaps, probably others will see Elena's behaviour differently from what I saw...

No comments:

Post a Comment