Monday, March 12, 2012

Gail Carriger - Timeless

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, cannot put a damper on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle. Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child, and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?

Comment: This is the last book in this series. The author has said there will be another series with these characters in the future, but things as we know them are over with this 5th installment.
In this story Alexia is summoned to Egypt with her daughter to meet the oldest vampire Queen alive and it's something she can't say no to, so they go with Lord Maccon and Ivy Tunstall's troupe as an excuse. While in Egypt, Alexia is faced with too many things happening and in the end it's surprises after surprises.
I've said before I love these books. The action makes sense and is brilliant in a very perfect way, considering the strength of the characters that might overshadow the plot, but everything works so well, it's amazing.
In this book we follow Alexia and her group to Egypt and also the remaining pack in London. Two different groups facing two different challenges and it's perfect how well everything is matched. I was completely caught by surprise over some things and let me tell you, when an author manages to lead you through a certain path ans still show you things don't have to be the same old thing, then we have a winner. It's still something I can't get past, this bubble of surprises that caught me unaware but very happy too. There are three things, in terms of plot, that I wasn't expecting at all, that I never imagined not even in my daydreams and speculations and I'm positively happy with it because not only the book made me turn page after page but is making me eager to read more about it in the future, when the author writes more.
I won't tell spoilers, but this book promises and delivers everything we could hope for.
One thing is consistent the relationship between Alexia and Connall, they fight, they kiss, they have arguments but they love each other and it's so god to see. Their daughter is interesting and smart and if she's smart to be the lead protagonist in the upcoming series in this world, than she will be a great one.
I can't say much without ruining the book for those who haven't read, but I assure you it's great and a great "end" for the series, I loved this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment