Sunday, June 3, 2012

Nalini Singh - Tangle of Need


Adria, wolf changeling and resilient soldier, has made a break with the past--one as unpredictable in love as it was in war. Now comes a new territory, and a devastating new complication: Riaz, a SnowDancer lieutenant already sworn to a desperate woman who belongs to another.
For Riaz, the primal attraction he feels for Adria is a staggering betrayal. For Adria, his dangerous lone-wolf appeal is beyond sexual. It consumes her. It terrifies her. It threatens to undermine everything she has built of her new life. But fighting their wild compulsion toward one another proves a losing battle.
Their coming together is an inferno...and a melding of two wounded souls who promise each other no commitment, no ties, no bonds. Only pleasure. Too late, they realize that they have more to lose than they ever imagined. Drawn into a cataclysmic Psy war that may alter the fate of the world itself, they must make a decision that might just break them both.


Comment: The Psy/Changeling series is currently one of my favorites and it's a gorgeous world where I truly wouldn't mind living in. Each new book in this series is pre-ordered with months of anticipation in the way. I regularly visit the author's site, blog and facebook. I'm really addicted to this series and I think she not only has done the perfect job in imagining this world but she manages to keep the pace and the allure in her books, and she stays in the perfection realm, in a way many other author with life long series can't.
Of course it's inevitable some books feel better for everyone than others. In the 11 books so far in this series, I have my preferences, just like everybody else. After the last one, which was one of the most beautifully written books ever, with one of the mosts perfect heroes ever, with the most amazing HEA in the history (lolol no holding back now) of paranormal literature, it would be hard to make this one better. So, it's no surprise my favorite parts in this new book were about the couple featured in the previous one. Psy/changeling lovers would know ;)

This brings me to the main couple. Riaz and Adria. Each one of them is in a bad place at the beginning of the book due to failed relationships, kind of. Riaz has a mate but she's happy with someone else. Adria is recovering from the breakup where she ended up with someone who abused her emotionally for a long time. Neither is prepared to love again, much less embark in a demanding relationship. However, once they admit they're attracted to each other, they start being together and it's inevitable for them to also start having feelings for each other, but Riaz is always pretty much aware of the fact he has a mate, so he knows he can't give Adria the relationship she deserves and part of the conflict happens for this reason. Still, besides being changelings, they have a human side that won't be denied so they start their relationship knowing they won't be mates. This saddened me and is why I don't consider this one of the best romances in the series. Part of the magic, the special things that are key to this world's beauty is that connection between couples, every time a changeling is involved. I accept and welcome the fact Riaz and Adria tried their best and are together in the end and that they got their HEA..I'm also anxious and hopeful to think they might evolve to mates one day because the hint it's there in the book, but right now...I just feel it's not fair lol, even though I have faith in the author's skill to make this work. All the others have had the best and these two can't because of one simple detail that is paramount in the series. I know they're in love and happy and that's important, but that special things is missing and I can't help feeling a bit sad because of that.
Still, I have hope we might see them even more solid in a future book.

The book presents many sub plots and I have to be honest: I want Alexei's, Kaleb's, Aden's and Vasic's stories soon!! The author also perfected the art of torturing us with the wait for stories with heroes we want to see happy. I hope some of the upcoming stories feature one (or more) of these characters.
Then, also important is the fact all subplots merge in a way that connects everything and I can't wait to read more. The author doesn't write only beautiful romances, she also provides interesting facts about the world and develops her ideas in a very dazzling way.

All in all, I liked it, I don't think I disliked any book in this series (duh) and apart from that feeling of incomplete business I think this is a great book. I've already re-read my favorite scenes countless times since finishing the book!
I'm already curious about who might be next (Nalini knows who's coming but she won't say yet) and how and why it will play out.
I recommend this series to everyone who enjoys the paranormal romance genre and great plots and great romances.

1 comment: