Sunday, September 30, 2012

Christina Dodd - In Bed With the Duke

Demure lady's companion Emma Chegwidden never defies society’s rules. Until the night she runs straight into the arms of the mysterious and menacing Reaper . . . a man who rides the night-shadowed countryside and conceals his identity behind a mask. His goal is justice . . . or is it vengeance? Only one thing is certain: nothing will stop him from his dark purpose.
Michael Durant, long-lost heir to the duke of Nevitt, has a score to settle. Cynical, dangerous and ruthless, Michael is the last man on earth that sensible Emma should defy. But some challenges are too tempting to resist . . . and some passions too fierce to ignore. Soon Michael discovers in Emma the woman he has always longed for . . . a woman whose beauty and courage reach through to his tortured soul . . . and he will defy anything, even fate itself, to claim her . .
.


Comment: The last book I've had in this series. I haven't got the last one yet and I'm not sure if I will so soon.
The thing is, I liked all the books, two or three much more than the others, but this one...I didn't. I read it, yay, but it wasn't that amazing and frankly, I was in a rush to just get it over with.

This is the story of Michael Durant, the older brother of Jude, whom we've known from the previous book.
Michael has been arrested and a prisoner in Moricardia, the kingdom/country? ruled by the tyrannical prince Sandre.
Michael, however, seems to have accepted his fate and despite longing for home, keep being mocked by others for his lack of spine and his nonexistent attempts to return to England.
Emma is a governess helping an older widow who's hunting for a husband.Because of an accident, she's fired and later the masked ghost who's been bringing hope to the population helps her. The ghost is said to be the country's previous deceased king,hoping to return things to peace and prosperity. Emma sees herself in the middle of political problems but she proves to be a great help by spying for him while being courted by prince Sandre, who wants a bride no one would care about, for Emma is alone in the world.

The story is interesting, full of intrigue, but I thought Michael would be rescued and most of the story would focus on his return to England and how he would deal with his past, but no...all the book took place in Moricardia and was focused on the fight against prince Sandre and his guards.
I have to confess I was bored and wanted to get to the end soon. I am aware the problem I had with this book is mostly misplaced expectations, but I really wanted to see a book set in England with, possibly, scenes with the previous characters and even situations that would follow the convention of England's society. The fact the plot was only happening in Moricardia, and most things were about the evil plans of prince Sandre...boring and really not what I wanted.
The romance was daring and interesting but at some point I stopped liking Emma, although she did everything in her power to help the ones in need and the good ones. Still, something in her change from a submissive maid to a brave fighter stopped being convincing and lost me somewhere.
I don't have much more to say...I was hoping for something and got another, but the story didn't enthrall me that much that would force me to change my opinion, even when I realized things wouldn't go the way I thought.
I feel bad for not enjoying but the story didn't stir me that much, what a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment