Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Meljean Brook - Heart of Steel

As the mercenary captain of the Lady Corsair, Yasmeen has learned to keep her heart as cold as steel, her only loyalty bound to her ship and her crew. So when a man who once tried to seize her airship returns from the dead, Yasmeen will be damned if she gives him another opportunity to take control.
Treasure-hunter Archimedes Fox isn't interested in the Lady Corsair -- he wants her coldhearted captain and the valuable da Vinci sketch she stole from him. To reclaim it, Archimedes is determined to seduce the stubborn woman who once tossed him to a ravenous pack of zombies, but she's no easy conquest.
When da Vinci's sketch attracts a dangerous amount of attention, Yasmeen and Archimedes journey to Horde-occupied Morocco -- and straight into their enemy's hands. But as they fight to save themselves and a city on the brink of rebellion, the greatest peril Yasmeen faces is from the man who seeks to melt her icy heart...

Comment: Here I am, trying to keep reading series in order to finish them. I loved the first book in the Iron Seas series and I was instantly captivated by the author's imagination in her creation of such a world.

This is the story of Yasmeen, she's the captain of an airship and she has the reputation of being fierce and independent. She's fair but demanding. She doesn't take attacks on her ship or her person or even her ability to be captain. In the previous book he threw our hero from her airship into a zombie area just because he dared to try to steal her leadership of the airship. But deep down, she's loyal and a protector of those she cares about.
Archimedes Fox is the hero of many books of adventures written by his sister. he puts himself in dangerous situation not only to find material to her books but mostly to fund his life and pay off debts. He meets Yasmeen and thinks she might be someone he could fall in love with.
In this book he returns to her airship and starts a sequence of events that change their lives and their feelings for each other.

Ohhh I loved this book!!! It's such a great story, one of those you keep reading, and don't want it to end. I couldn't put it down, I even at my meals with it by my side - not very handy, but I really wanted to read more.
The world created by the author is something wonderful, full of details and little clues and makes the whole thing more believable and interesting. So often, in books, we find ourselves interested in the romance and the rest is just there, but not with this book, this world, everything makes sense and I'm genuinely curious to know more about the occupations, the reasons behind the attacks, the way things changed, why some things happened and how, I mean, everything is truly interesting, catching and makes me curious and eager to know more. I guess part of it is the author's talent to write, but if the story wasn't as well structured, so well based and thought, then it wouldn't feel as right too.
The romance was so sweet, it was charged with sexual tension and I've seen so many times that wonderful love stories often have more sexy scenes than explicit ones and it sure makes the love more true if we see them thinking about or acting with or watching the other before. It gives the romance a certain air of durability, it makes it look like it didn't happen that fast, although it did and makes the reader ore comfortable and eager to see them together. I wish many authors would learn this.
Anyway, I loved it. I liked how Yasmeen learned to trust someone, learned he was there by her side and there was strength in being with the right person. Archimedes learned true love demands more from someone but it's worth it. And even better were the scenes where one would consider the other and do things, even small ones, apparently innocent, and it would mean the world, it's a great way to show the strength of their feelings.
The book was really good.

Even better, my edition has the novella "Tethered" included and in this one we see the couple even more in love and dedicated to each other. It's a novella full f adventure, many clues about incoming things and the proof the couple is in love and happy. Like always, so many little scenes make the reader happy too because it's so obvious the real affection between the main characters. And the story is strong and captivating,  I loved seeing so many new details about what it means to live in such a world.

I totally recommend this book.
Can't wait for the next one and already read in the author's site her plans to upcoming books in the series and I can say I'm really excited about them!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm so glad you loved this book, Sonia! And, that you are loving this series so much. I haven't read Tethered yet (haven't found the ebook format), but I read Mina's short story and liked it. Now you have to read Riveted! I loved that one! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilcia, you'll love Tethered!

    I'm going to read Riveted next month, I'm very excited about it... :)
    Oh and did you know next year Zenobia's book will be published?? yay!!

    ReplyDelete