Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Louise Cooper - The Outcast

Tarod alone knew the nature of the supernatural force locked within his soul--and he knew that it must be thwarted, no matter what the sacrifice. Denounced by his fellow adepts as a demon, betrayed even by those he loved, he had unleashed a power that twisted the fabric of time, to put himself beyond the reach of that monstrous force and avert the pandemonium that threatened the world. He thought that nothing could break through the barrier he had created. He was wrong...

Comment: This is the second book in the Time Master trilogy by the author.
It's the continuation of the first book, almost immediately. In this book, the story focuses more on Cyllan's point of view and what happens it's more described from her eyes.

In the second book Cyllan and Drachea, an important young man from Shu Province are carried in a Wasp to the Star Peninsula. Neither knows how and why they ended up there but when they arrive, they somehow manage to cross the barrier Tarod created when he stopped time in the end of book #1. After they enter the castle, Tarod finds them and is perplexed by the fact Cyllan could enter through his shield. After some misunderstandings, Drachea and Cyllan finally get why things seem frozen there and why Tarod is alone. Each one makes their own minds and while Cyllan sides with Tarod and understands him, Drachea only wants to punish him and revive the rest of the people in the castle. But if that happens, what it would mean to Tarod's destiny?

Well, this second book felt a bit more descriptive than the first. I can't explain but I liked the first one better, perhaps because it was the introduction and it had many things to be explained and presented and people to show up, etc. In this one the reader obviously knows what is going on so I felt a bit disappointed by so many pages in the middle about the hows of going through barriers, an d by the technical side of everything, I mean, Cyllan helped Tarod but there were many pages dedicated to the hows of things and it was rather boring to me.
At the same time, I enjoyed the book, mostly because the majority of the book is seen through Cyllan's eyes and I liked that. I liked knowing what she was doing, what she was thinking and how her feelings changed once she understood some things.
The story evolved interestingly. Cyllan helped Tarod and even played a surprising part in the Chaos' plans, which kind of shocked me, but I got it in a way. Drachea was, of course, the enemy there and because of him Tarod was forced to make a decision and change things because he had to save Cyllan. 
I still hate Keridil a bit. How such a friendship as his and Tarod's was condemned because Tarod wasn't the person Keridil thought and he put aside all the good things...it still makes me mad.
This second book ended up with another huge thing to think about for the last book, namely Cyllan's fate. I hope the two of them can find a solution to everything. Speaking of them, I liked how they seem to develop strong and real feelings for the other. I hope they end up together.
So, overall, a good story, a bit boring in some parts, but there were shocks and surprises to flavor things up too. I hope the final book can present the best end for this and I have my hopes...
Just a quick note about the covers...I don't remember if I mentioned this in the post about The Initiate but...I respect those who do the computerized work and those who like it, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I find this type of covers too simple and not always up to the author's talent. I wish they would stick to more conventional covers, I don't mean nude male models but something about the story, like the original covers, simple but to the point. The computerized images seem more...artificial, therefore, less appealing to me. I know many people like them, but I'm afraid I can't agree and would prefer to see different covers in the books I read...

No comments:

Post a Comment