Monday, February 11, 2013

Ilona Andrews - Fate's Edge


Audrey Callahan left behind her life in the Edge, and she's determined to stay on the straight and narrow. But when her brother gets into hot water, the former thief takes on one last heist and finds herself matching wits with a jack of all trades...
Kaldar Mar-a gambler, lawyer, thief, and spy-expects his latest assignment tracking down a stolen item to be a piece of cake, until Audrey shows up. But when the item falls into the hands of a lethal criminal, Kaldar realizes that in order to finish the job, he's going to need Audrey's help...

Comment: This month I read this book along with two friends because we're all fans of this series and the authors' too.
It's the third book in the Edge series and it's the story of Kaldar, a cousin to Cerise who was the protagonist in the previous book, Bayou Moon.
Like I said many times, the strength these two authors have in writing is incredible, they write things quite well and in a way that it looks like easy but I'm sure it took a lot of work and talent.

This second book follows Kaldar as he tries to do a mission for The Mirror, the sort of spy army he works for now. He is going to retrieve a stolen device originally meant for the Hand, the enemy. However, Kaldar hates the hand because of everything done to his family and he wants revenge.
Audrey comes from a family of tricksters, con men. Her father is a thief and all her family worked at least once in the business including herself as she has the magic predisposition to pick any possible lock. She didn't know her last work was that huge and now her conscience forces her to join forces with Kaldar in trying to stop the Hand to get the device.

This book was great. I still think it doesn't have the same feeling of discovering a new perfect thing like I did with the first book, but it's a world so well done, the writing so addictive and interesting I have no problems returning here.
The story was done in a good pace, nothing too fast or too slow, except foe the romance that, despite being a good one and quite sweet at times, could have used a stronger evolution. I mean, it was fine but it was slow during the book because Audrey was cautious and almost in the end, there you go all is clear. It was rushed I think. With so many pages what would be wrong with ten or twelve more just to keep things more balanced? Anyway, but this didn't ruin the book for me, quite the opposite.
The plot was very interesting as always. It amazes me the imagination and thought processes the authors have to come up with to write this, and with so many different tones of scenes, we have funny ones, romantic, ones sad ones, thrilling ones and so on...talent indeed.
Obviously the good guys win although a certain scene in the end let's us know the bad guys might have another word to say, perhaps in the next book...
Another thing I liked a lot was one fighting scene in particular...I usually just take a peek at those because it's to much mess for me but there was one here so amazing and with all the "good" characters fighting I loved it.
One thing got me thinking...Audrey's family is quite the dysfunctional, it's explained why and why they don't change but one fact in particular caught my eye. Audrey's bother is an addict and we get to know how he started doing drugs. I was left moved by this because he was described as sweet despite aloof young man and drugs changed him completely. We get to know the reasons why he started and it amazes me that this could happen in real life, it's so...stupid, so incomprehensible but it can happen, it breaks my heart. 
In the end I was quite happy to have read it because the plot and the character's development is strong enough to keep me interested and eager to know more. Really god writing style.
I can't wait for the next and final one!

No comments:

Post a Comment