Monday, September 16, 2013

Amy Lane - Vulnerable

Working graveyards in a stop & rob seemed a small price for Cory to pay in order to get her degree and get the hell out of Nor-Cal. She was terrified of disappearing into the aimless vortex that awaited the lost and the young that haunted her neck of the woods. Until the night she actually stopped looking at her books and looked up. What awaited her was a world she had only read about--one filled with fantastical creatures that she was sure she could never be. And then Adrian walked in--and she discovered that risking your life was nothing compared to facing who you really were. And then falling in love.

Comment: I have no idea how long this book had been waiting to be read. I got it a long time ago, but there came the time I just avoided YAs because of the whole extreme feelings vs not mature enough behavior conflict and in the end I usually didn't read many and the ones I had already were immediately put aside. Then, I decided my current plan of spreading books from my TBR list throughout the months of the year and I just made my mind to get this series over with. I thought it was a plain YA story.

This book is the first of four about Cory, a young woman (19 IIRC), but not as young as that. Se finds out one day she has some sort of powers when a guy who goes to the remote gas station where she works nights touches her arm. From then on her life changes, she falls in love, she fights for her new friends and she gains the respect of those around her.

Er...so this book is pretty confusing at first. I wasn't very into it in the beginning but after a while I got more focused in the story and in the end ended up enjoying it a lot.
I didn't like how it ended. It was too emotional and despite being a good way to allow the possibilities of continuation to start developing, I wasn't very convinced by the way it was done. The thing is, someone dies and I don't think it was a smart move.

The writing....This isn't the first book by the author I've tried so the writing style wasn't such a surprise. However, the editing was. It was awful and if the story wasn't thrilling enough by that point I think I'd have skipped most of the book because it as poorly written. Many sentences didn't seem to work out and many others were just oddly presented. I suppose the things out there saying being a self published work was the problem can be a good explanation, but still, it shouldn't be this way.

The plot...well, I enjoyed seeing Cory grow up and build up relationships with those around her and even becoming more self confidant because she is at the center of the plot. Most times I was positively surprised by her choices and evolution but I think now that it was the heat of the moment speaking. Now that I think about the plot, some things bother me...still, all things considered, the story of how a group of weird, different beings in this world live together and help each other any way possible, sexual included, wasn't that strange but I wasn't prepared to see it that way at first. When I got the idea it would be a sort of erotica story I accepted it, but it wouldn't seem so at first and part of me would have wanted to be aware of that sooner. I didn't really like some issues in the novel, but I was ready to overlook that until something happened and although I gave 4 starts to the book, I still didn't like that...so I guess my four starts are more a 3.5 by now.

The characters seemed to follow a certain pattern, they would go a certain way but some of them changed and apparently will do more in the future books. I'm not sure what I think about that. 
As for keeping on with the series I will, but I just hop I don't stop being captivated by this.
All in all, entertaining, interesting, good enough but after a while things stop being as appealing as one might have thought at first. Great premises and situations to explore, not as wonderful behavior after.
Let's see the second one, how it goes. Once again, the end of this one wasn't needed and annoyed me, but who know, things might be good after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment