Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Kendall Mckenna - Strength of the Wolf

After a fiery exit from Afghanistan, Tim Madison is promoted to major. Jeremy Wagner is a civilian, just beginning his Transition to True Alpha. As a lone wolf, he has no one to teach him the vital principles of strong leadership. After a volatile chance encounter, Tim and Jeremy form an intimate bond.
As Jeremy prepares to someday lead his own pack, Tim struggles with military werewolves being needlessly maimed in combat, as well as specifically targeted by hostile forces. Despite Tim and Jeremy’s feelings, werewolf and human politics or family conflict could prevent their mate-bond.

Comment: I've loved the first book in this series and I was so happy to know there would be more stories around the characters I've met there I went and bought the book as soon as it was released. It's very easy to purchase ebooks from MRL Press.
Anyway, the moment I got it, I started reading.

This is a sort of follow-up of the previous story but this time the focus is on major Tim, someone who advised Lucas a lot on how to deal with shape shifters. Tim is used to be in control of things and to be an expert in dealing with the unexpected. Then he meets Jeremy on one night while he is out with his friends. 
Jeremy is a alpha to be. He has the instincts and trademarks of an alpha but he is still getting his bearings about it. He was cast off from his older pack because he was a threat to the alpha there. He gets the attention of Noah, the alpha, and gets his help. He's also attracted to Tim and at first he doesn't know how to act, but since the moment he understands Tim is attracted as well...things change between them.

I liked the story a lot. I think it wasn't as strong as the first one mostly because the other one has two main characters who had better chemistry in my opinion.
This story still revolves around the idea of shape shifters as military and how they are a respected and welcome part by the higher instances. I actually like how natural things are in this reality the author created and most important, how accepted is the fact th shape shifter need to touch and have any kind of tactful contact, even sexual, and everyone accepts that. It's a very daring move especially considering real life and the take on gay acceptance in the military. Although the books don't intend to say the shape shifters are all gay, which they aren't, it's still an important part of their existence and I find it inspiring.

The two main characters in this second story don't have as much intensity between them like I said, but I liked how they met and the start of their relationship. I even liked how they got to be so important to each other from the start. What I think wasn't that well done was how fast they got physical. Ok, not exactly this, it was more the easy decision to be intimate. They were attracted to each other and the teasing and wonder was amazing and I thought when they got together, if not romantic, could be more intense and could give the idea of "finally". Instead, it was more like a talked decision. This is fine in real life, but I confess I expected more flavor and passion for them. This was why this is only 4 starts and the previous one was a 5...things took longer to happen in terms of "is this really happening and what should I do" in Lucas and Noah's story and I love shape shifters stories where things don't happen right away but there is plenty sexual tension to see and that gives a more desperate need to see what happens, at least to my taste.This situation didn't happen here but I still loved the story, pretty much due to the author's world and talent.
We get to know the to guys pretty well and while they're developing their relationship and dealing with the importance of each other in their lives, we see them dealing with personal things too and that doesn't only give a bigger sense of how they are but as how they work out their thoughts and behavior. It's a very complete study of them and their actions.

All in all, a great story, I can't wait for the next one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment