Thursday, September 5, 2013

Lois Greiman - Tempting the Wolf

To the ladies of the ton he is the "Irish Wolf," an unobtainable object of their most hidden desires. But centuries ago, O'Banyon fell victim to an enchanting witch. Once ruthless in battle-and in the bedchamber- he is now cursed . . . and the wolf is set free.
Antoinette Desbonnet knows there is much to fear from this dashing, magnificent stranger who stirs heated longings deep within her. And, in turn, O'Banyon's aroused senses warn him to beware this alluring young countess in shimmering white-for he knows he can never conquer her . . . yet cannot resist her. Something mysterious and powerful in her is calling to him. And he must have the bewitching beauty-even if it costs him his twice-damned soul.


Comment: Having read the previous book, Taming the Barbarian, and not being much impressed, it was with low expectations I started this one. I thought it best to get it over with because like I said before, having books just laying around when I could just get them over is one of my manias as a reader...pretty much a need, much like organizing my books in the shelves by size.

Anyway, this was the story of O'Banyon, he was cursed like the hero from the first book and sometimes he changes into a wolf. He sees a woman one night and is enchanted. Just the regular enchantment of attraction, not magically so.
Antoinette is a woman used to keep her face. She has secrets but people see what it's in front of them and not the reality, so she lives her life protecting her secrets and trying to live apart while among others. But O'Banyon sees her for who she is and her live changes.

This said, it almost looks like I paid a lot of attention to the story, right?
Actually, I was so bored and unimpressed and confused I really just wanted it to be over so I could read something better.
The plot is confusing and not very easy to follow, as there are sudden changes in the narrative and many details look random and it's almost like the author wanted to give the idea of time moving forward after each end of chapter but I always got confused by that abruptness. Not very easy to follow and I think it was one of the reasons why I had so much trouble to enjoy keeping on.

The story itself wasn't that special...I mean, O'Banyon wanted to fight his curse, he had the whole doubts and fears about falling in love with someone so alike the one who cursed him, and Antoinette had her fears as well and her wish for a family but she never thought she could have one because of her past and her secrets.
Then there's the writing, which isn't very easy to follow or to enjoy. There were many sudden changes in the rhythm of the story and the fact the author ended a chapter and the next one was already set in something different was making the reading both confusing and tiring. I really think she wanted to give a certain ethereal feel to her story, even with the fogginess and the night and all that, but honestly I wasn't very impressed or eager to now more.
The characters were ok I guess, but as I didn't care for what they were doing, I also didn't find interest about them or their path.

In the end I was glad it was over and I really didn't miss it at all. I think some things could have been done better and that would have given a different air to this story, but I just didn't like the style and ultimately, the plot. So, I just feel it's good to have read it so it's not hovering in my head, but no love lost here.

No comments:

Post a Comment