Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Robyn Carr - Promise Canyon

After years spent on ranches around Los Angeles, Clay Tahoma is delighted to be Virgin River's new veterinary assistant. The secluded community's wild beauty tugs at his Navajo roots, and he's been welcomed with open arms by everyone in town; everyone except Lilly Yazhi.
Lilly has encountered her share of strong, silent, traditional men within her own aboriginal community, and she's not interested in coming back for more. In her eyes, Clay's earthy, sexy appeal is just an act used to charm wealthy women like his ex-wife. She can't deny his gift for gentling horses, but she's not about to let him control her. There's just one small problem, she can't control her attraction to Clay.
But in Virgin River, faith in new beginnings and the power of love has doors opening everywhere.

Comment: In continuing with my read-a-long of this series one book a month this month it was time for Promise Canyon, which isn't the 11th story of the series, but it's the 11th full length story. I was very eager to read this one, as I've aways been for all the books int he series so far.

This story is about Clay, he is a Native American farrier and veterinary assistant and comes near Virgin River to work for his old friend Nate. He also wants his teenager son near him and to live a new life away from his ex wife.
Lilly is a young native woman and she had terrible things happening in her past, so now she stays away from other native men. However, while delivery the horses feed, she meets Clay and is attracted to him but tells herself to be away because nothing good can come out of it. 
But while caring for a sick horse, Lilly sees Clay isn't lie any other native and decided to trust him, until the day someone gets in the way and tries to confuse her. Will Clay loose her because of a mix up?

I expected this to be a good book and I was proved right. The story is engaging and it h the same style the author had us used to. The storyline is simple, no artifices or exaggeration. This is a story to enjoy and to wish could be longer just because. It isn't my favorite, I think Noah and Ellie will be my favorite couple ever in the series, but I was very hay with the story anyway.

I liked how the main couple is Native American. I confess I don't know much about the subject, only that there are many different tribes and they were overpowered by the white man and many were forced to live in reservations. I've read other books with Native characters and the idea they are seen as somewhat inferior or not as respected is seen in many of them. I don't know how much is cultural or used as a fictional segment, but from books and movies I have the idea things aren't easy for them, even nowadays. Anyway, it was an interesting theme of the story and I liked how they talked about their tribes and traditions. It gave a more serious tone to the story and proved they weren't meant just to be different.

Lilly and Clay had some not so good experiences in their pasts. Lilly had had a young romance that shaped her whole life and she never forgot. Now with Clay in the picture she had to learn part of her issues was how she didn't get over that although she tried to convince herself she did. I thought her problems were very realistic and true and I felt for her, because I just know so many people have the same fears even when not experiencing the same things, but it was good to see Lilly evolve from what was bad towards a better future and most of it came from hr own mind and not just circumstances.
Clay also had some challenging experienced to deal with and he proved he was a man of good heart and his problems didn't shape what he would become. He tried to get out of what was expected of him and grew up to be a better person. I like how the author redeems in a way, her characters, but never easily or superficially. Both Clay and Lilly had some inner stuff to deal with and they did, in a convincing and "human" way. I mean, it wasn't too fast or too obvious or too stupid just to please the reader.

As always, the plot is funny and thoughtful and I liked seeing everyone, old and new characters and how the ones we care about are going on. This is a series about family and friendship and it's great, no matter how many people show up.

All in all, a good story, there's always a wonderful feel about these stories, even when reading about the not so positive parts. I love this "world" and do recommend it to everyone who likes small town contemporaries.
Grade: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment