Wednesday, February 19, 2014

R.J. Scott - Texas Winter

Riley’s past comes back to haunt him both professionally and personally.
His dead brother left more than just bitter memories for Riley to deal with. The FBI get involved and suddenly it is more than his good name that is on the line. Jack is always there for him but how much more can Riley’s husband reasonably be able to understand?
Especially when Riley finds out on his delayed honeymoon that he has an eight year old daughter he never knew existed...


Comment: Here's a short comment...This is the sequel for the first book set in Texas in this apparently developing series. In this second installment we follow the lives of Riley and Jack after they married for love in the end of the previous book.

This time someone from Riley's past returns to change his life again, now that things were looking up for him and his family. However, Riley has the support of many people, especially Jack, and whatever comes to surprise him won't be such a chore as he imagined...

I liked this story overall. Riley and Jack now have a more established relationship, more solid than before even despite the little things any couple has to deal with.
I liked the sense of family that we find in this story. Obviously family matters to both guys and many of their actions revolve around family issues. I still think there's a certain layer of soap opera in this, but not as much as in the first book.

I suppose the author didn't plan to write more? Well, if that was the case we can see why the suddenly touch to several subjects here, perhaps the course of action seems forced at times, jut to exist a justification about keeping up with the series after fan's requests, but considering the whole book, this wasn't a bad job. I had some fun reading this and I do confess I read it quite fast.

However, something just annoyed me so much that I found it influenced my final opinion...Despite the action being good enough and the romance maintaining a good sense of heartfelt feelings and mutual respect, it was annoying as everything to still have the expression "his husband" repeated over and over, likely in almost every paragraph! I get the point and the writing tactic but for a reader is just too much...or perhaps it was for me...one of the guys thinks something about the other and there it is....really distracting and I couldn't not thin about it.

In the end, a good attempt and effort, but really annoying writing habit that took me some enjoyment from the reading experience...
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment