Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Thea Harrison - Kinked

As a harpy, Sentinel Aryal is accustomed to dealing with hate, but Sentinel Quentin Caeravoron manages to inspire in her a burning ire unlike anything she’s ever known. Aryal believes the new Sentinel to be a criminal, and vows to take him out as soon as the opportunity arises. But the harpy’s incessant wrath has pushed Quentin to the limit, and forces him to make a deadly vow of his own.
To put an end to the conflict, Dragos, Lord of the Wyr, sends them on a reconnaissance mission to the Elven land of Numenlaur. Forced to work together, Aryal and Quentin’s mutual antagonism escalates. Each fight draws forth more passion, culminating in an explosively sexual confrontation. But when their quest reveals real danger, Aryal and Quentin must resolve their differences in ways beyond the physical, before the entire Wyr is threatened.


Comment: This is the most recent installment in the Elder Races series by the author. I've read the first 4 books being the first and the 4th wonderful and the one in between really boring, in particular the second one. I've skipped the 5th because I didn't want to go again into the same story but this one has been in my radar since I've read the blurb, I was immediately curious over the chemistry between the main couple that surely would sizzle the pages.

Therefore, this is Aryal and Quentin's romance. They seem to have a wonderful chemistry..for hate. They don't hide how much they dislike the other and secretly plot ways to kill the other. Things reach a point where Dragos puts them together in a mission to rescue a group of fey in a land recently devastated. While traveling to the place and fighting a surprising enemy, Aryal and Quentin actually talk and realize the other is exactly what they need to find happiness...

I was very happy with this book. There's always the fear any story by this author is a repetition of the experience with the second book, which was such a disappointment I can't even think about it. But this book was wonderful, fast paced all the way and structured in a way I enjoyed a lot because it felt balanced, meaning all the time dedicated to the character's inner thoughts, their romance, the plot, the going on with the rest of the world, all these things always went forward with a good time and development. The story not only felt in motion all the time, but it also allowed the reader to feel the time was well worth it and definitely not boring to go through.

The plot is based on a mission and it had many interesting elements, I was eager to see if they could find out what happened and if they could help the fey that were missing, people who had gone before to look for clues about what had happened. the reason was both imaginative and sad...because a feeling was the base of everything and sometimes the more we look for a way to solve a problem, the more we might loose ourselves in that quest. Still, the other side of the book, the idea not the romance, was quite well thought and an adventure I enjoyed seeing develop.

As for the romance, well obviously I loved it! I like several kinds of plots, but when the protagonists don't seem to get along but of course that means their relationship is doomed for bliss ever after, is one of my favorites. I love the notion time and common experiences and reluctance can be little things that ultimately unite people and they can see sometimes first impressions aren't all there is. Aryal had good reasons to hate Quentin but I confess she was a bit too much into her hate. Quentin seemed to hate as a reply to Aryal's behavior, something they sort of worked out after a conversation without much fight. From then on they seemed to see in the other worthy characteristics. Then feelings made an appearance besides lust and I was quite glad with the way their romance progressed. They believably went from hate to appreciation and love and in a way that didn't seem rushed or silly. I think the author did well in this. In the end, I liked them together a lot.

I was impressed with this book. I was very glad the author did such a good job and I was positively surprised with the plot and the relationship between the protagonists. All elements seemed to work well together in this book. I hope future stories go along this style and structure as well.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment