Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Courtney Milan - The Countess Conspiracy

Sebastian Malheur is the most dangerous sort of rake: an educated one. When he’s not scandalizing ladies in the bedchamber, he’s outraging proper society with his scientific theories. He’s desired, reviled, acclaimed, and despised—and he laughs through it all.
Violet Waterfield, the widowed Countess of Cambury, on the other hand, is entirely respectable, and she’d like to stay that way. But Violet has a secret that is beyond ruinous, one that ties her irrevocably to England’s most infamous scoundrel: Sebastian’s theories aren’t his. They’re hers.
So when Sebastian threatens to dissolve their years-long conspiracy, she’ll do anything to save their partnership...even if it means opening her vulnerable heart to the rake who could destroy it for good.


Comment: Being new to this author and having liked the two previous books in this Brothers Sinisters series so far, I had blind hopes for this one and didn't have much contact with anything about this story beforehand. I wanted to be surprised by the author's style once more...but unfortunately it wasn't so.

This is Violet and Sebastien's story, they're characters we recognize from the previous books, and how their story is full of discoveries everywhere.
Violet thinks herself a rock of ice and she only cares about her plants and the studies she does.
Sebastien is a well known scientist, applauded by some, criticized by others due to the nature of his research and the themes of his studies, reproduction and genetic traits.
Sebastien and Violet have a deal in which Sebastien took the praise of her work because she was a woman and had more to loose. But now things change because Sebastien is tired and wants to stop..oh and he loves her too. What could happen with so many secrets coming out everywhere?

This story, I have to admit, has many things uncovered during its length. From the protagonists to those closer to them, if there's one thing this book delivers is news, is th feeling of "aha then that was it" and I have to say one of the findings we do is actually well thought and wonderful and such a good surprise I felt it was the book's moment.

However, despite the interesting scenes and little comments about the characters we saw as protagonists in the other stories, I felt the protagonists of this one weren't as successful or interesting.
First of all, I didn't feel much empathy towards them as individuals and I liked them even less as a couple. I guess it's one of those cases, potato, potahto or whatever. Some people might see them as perfect for each other for their common story, for the traits that made them close to each other, the interests they share...but for me it didn't work that well and I never felt a vibe of their connection even when they were saying lovely things to one another...well, more Sebastien than Violet, anyway.

Violet has had some dreadful experiences as a married woman and she feels she won't ever feel anything anymore, she is afraid of what it might mean for her because she was ill often during her marriage. I understand her reasons and in real life I surely would defend and applaud her and probably react like her, but she came out as too stoic and rigid and her thoughts were so science oriented I never really felt a connection towards her.
Sebastien is likable and many see that a laziness and boredom and they believe him to be a rake but deep down he's quite responsible and trustworthy but the person he most admires always puts him down and although we see why towards the end of the story, I still think he was a ill used character, his potential was so great in my eyes, it was really a shame he couldn't have another heroine.

Then their relationship...they're long time friends, they grew up in houses next to each other, so this makes them friends to lovers and this was one of the reasons why I didn't enjoy their romance much, they have known each other forever and now finally something happened...I know it's not impossible but I don't appreciate this theme and despite trying to put it aside, I still had trouble to focus on them and get reading. I really didn't buy the relationship...

In the end we find out interesting things about both their lives and happenings in their past but honestly the way they got together didn't suit my taste at ll and for that reason mainly I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted. I have hopes for the next one. The author's style is likable yes, but in this book not even that made the book more than just readable for me.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment