Saturday, August 2, 2014

Patrice Michelle - Scions: Resurrection

Everyone believed vampires were extinct. Everyone was wrong. When Ariel Swanson wrote a novel about vampires, she hoped it would exorcise her fear of the creatures that had, not so long ago, terrorized the human population.
Instead, it brought her to their attention.
And to the attention of Jachin Blacka man banished from the Saguinas, a vampire pack, and forced to hunt among the despised humans. For he clung to the prophecy given years ago, of a better way for his kind to live a prophecy Ariel unknowingly used as the basis of her novel.
Ariel hates and fears vampires. Jachin despises humanity. But the prophecyand passionbinds them in ways they could never have imagined. Ways that may heal the past, and change the future.


Comment: This book has been in the pile forever...ok, sort of five years or something..there's something redeeming about plucking almost forgotten titles from a pile we don't remember much of the time, isn't it? It feels like it with this one...

This is Ariel's story. She wrote a book on vampires, a fictional story that as soon as it caught the attention of the hidden and believable extinct vampires in the world, ok, in a US city, made her a target. 
Jachin Black is a hired assassin, also a vampire, and he is familiar with the prophecy Ariel used in her book. He goes after her because he believes she is the intended mate for the vampires' leader and he wants his race to finally see peace.
Among an almost nonstop adventure and action scenes, the couple not only learns a lot about each other but they also start to think peace isn't that far off...

Before talking about the book, I should say there was a time I completely paranormal crazy and I got everything that mentioned vampires and shape shifters and possible romances where they were in. I had some rules about what not to get (usually love triangles, lovers reunited, friends to lovers and other romance themes I don't have much appreciation for), but apart from that, almost anything went in the genre. My taste has changed a bit and nowadays my focus is wider among several types of books, but what I like in paranormal has changed into more world built worlds and world driven stories instead of pure relationship based stories. I guess it's the path of a reader, we aren't all set in stone...

So, this all to say there was a time my looking for paranormal romance followed a certain pattern and that has changed a bit. But this title is still from those days where I wasn't really paying attention to what was in it as long as it had something about what I wanted. This book had a romance, it had vampires and I got it.

I think this is definitely one of those time goes by cases where you read a book you know you'd have loved at a certain point but now it's only average.
The story follows a cute idea, an author writes a book about vampires when they are apparently extinct and from then on, she is caught in a fast paced adventure to save said race. Of course Ariel has some traumas against vampires, there are good and bad vampires, some werewolves in the mix and a prophecy to win. The idea is interesting but I don't know if it was the story itself or the need to be within the page limits necessary for a Nocturne title, but it sure felt like the characters never stopped and the time they could do that to sleep or to take a shower was immediately intruded by the bad guys! Everything happened fast and faster all the time right until the end where it slowed down but then the story had reached a state of cliché ideas and I think, in a way, things got a bit lost in the middle of so much.

I also finished the book with the feeling the author had too many ideas to use and she didn't know which ones to insert in the story, so she used them all and sacrificed possible quieter and more introspective moments for it. At least I think these type of moments should have been included.

The romance was the usual in these cases..fast, with lots of well know tricks to bring them together in such a short amount of time, proximity, attraction, apparent suitability as mates, a prophecy to force them together for a while, special details like blood tasting different when it's their mates and so on....anyway, many things we've come to expect of a mates-for-life kind of story.In reality, I don't know if they loved each other beyond the attraction and the being mates thing, but there's a HEA so...
The characterization seemed rushed too, there isn't any real character development except the change of mind about things like love and what it means to be happy ever after... so I can't say there was any growth either. 

Ariel and Jachin felt like characters perfect for a role, they did the deal, they reached their endgame and apart from that, I can't say I really made a connection with them.
As for keeping up with the series I don't know if I will..I have the rest three installments but if I ever will get to them it will surely be only next year. Probably only to have my conscience at ease.
Grade: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment