Monday, May 18, 2015

Belinda McBride - Blacque/Bleu

Lukas Blacque is a deeply closeted werewolf, and almost more than anything in life, he desires his neighbor, Oliver Bleu. Oliver is a vampire who is slowly dying from insomnia. More than anything, he needs Lukas Blacque and the rich blood that flows through his veins.
On the day that Blacque makes an important commitment to his family and pack, he also succumbs to temptation and agrees to a passionate weekend with the alluring vampire. At sunset on Friday, it's all about urgent lust and the drive to lose his virginity. When the sun rises on Monday, lust has shifted to love and devotion. He's not sure he can walk away, even for the commitment he's made. He's even less sure Bleu will let him go.
In Blacque's world, vampires and werewolves make uneasy bedfellows, and a gay werewolf is an impossibility. In Bleu's world, all living creatures are little more than vessels for food and sex. But in the mysterious and magical town of Arcada, the unexpected is always waiting right around the corner. Now Blacque and Bleu just need to survive long enough for Arcada's magic to work for them. 


Comment: This is a story I've been interested in since I realized it's about shape shifters. Those are my favorite types of characters in paranormal stories which, added to the fact I've read something by the author before and it was entertaining, made for good enough reasons to start this book.

This is a story about two neighbors, the vampire Bleu and the werewolf Blacque. They have been feeling attracted to each other for a while but neither acted on it because, for Blacque, that would be unacceptable mainly due to the fact he will be alpha and expected to be a father one day, so he needs to look the other way when it comes to his wishes.
But one night Blue can't avoid it any longer and they agree on a weekend together and that's it. However, despite Blacque's promise to his father about children in the future and the distant memories that now plague Blue's dreams, they can't seem to do what is expected of them and it's very difficult to stay apart...

I had some expectations about this - as I always do when it comes to shifter stories, I can't help it - but they weren't completely met. I can't really point out why this didn't make me as happy as I'd wished because the story does offer an interesting conflict, a sort of structured idea of how the world works, an enemy to dislike and wish dead and a HEA in the end.

The thing is, the romance didn't win me over that much. It wasn't the very, very slight D/s tone we have, which is so light one doesn't even have to give it importance but for me, I don't really care for that - was something I noticed and put me off when it was mentioned.
Then the development of the romance didn't seem as interesting as it should. Though I understood both Bleu and Blacque's reasons to stay away after they had their little weekend fling, I had a hard time being convinced of their feelings despite mate thoughts around.

For me, if an author writes books where sexual tension is on, that should be used properly to convey its message. In this book, we are told about their personal feelings and attraction as soon as the story starts, we know they have been feeling it for years, but from point A, knowing, to point B, seeing, doesn't go such a long distance. Personally, this writing tactic doesn't feel smooth or thoughtful, it's more handy or helpful to portray one idea without the support behind it.
Conclusion to myself: I don't really buy it. The romance feels rushed and convenient, not really heartfelt.

There's a good portion of secondary characters, which adds up life to the story. This is good and some characters have an important part but I couldn't go past the feeling they were there with a purpose, not because that community/family/society/group really was indispensable to the story. So I liked them but didn't "feel" their role was as deep as it would be otherwise.
Again, these are my personal views on the book.

The solution about everything (from romance difficulties to bad guy's disposal) was quick to happen. It wasn't perfect meaning everyone was ok with it, which would have been too sugary and lazy work, but nevertheless I didn't feel that rush of happiness about it either.
I just think I missed the emotional involvement I always hope for in books.
Despite everything, the book isn't completely bad. But, as usual, the things I consider negative points pop up more clearly and I have a hard time focusing on the positives. If this happens, then the book wasn't a success right? This certainly is law for any reader, I think.
I had a good enough time, but I really wanted more feeling.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment