Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Patrice Michelle - Scions:Revelation

Caine Grennard is a werewolf, living among humans and lacking purpose--until the night he meets a woman with an exotic, irresistible scent. A woman who might be his deadliest enemy.When her aunt is kidnapped, Emma Gray swears she'll do anything to get the older woman back. Even if it means trusting the mysterious--and sexy--stranger named Caine.But more is at stake than one woman's life: Emma's past holds the last key to unlocking a prophecy Caine's clan is depending on. The fates of both their clans rest on Caine and Emma trusting the impossible, electric connection between them, even in the midst of betrayal..

Comment: This is the third installment in this series by author Patrice Michelle. The books are centered around a world where shapeshifters and vampires exist.
In the beginning of the series, vampires and lupines (wolf shapeshifters) were in different parts of a conflict but now they have an agreement. In this third story we see the involvement of the cat shapeshifters in the conflict and how conversations and peace among them all are the best courses of action.
All books obviously focus on central characters related to the solution of the conflicts.

This is the story of Emma Gray, she works as a barista and takes care of her aunt. However, her aunt is kidnapped one day and while looking for her she has the ad of Caine, someone she met at a club because somehow she couldn't forget his scent.
Meeting Caine allows Emma to learn a lot about her life and her heritage and why her aunt was kidnapped. Emma understands she's part of a big problem and her help and that of her real family will do wonders to bring peace to everyone involved. Of course this will only happen f they can defeat the enemies attempting to make it all go wrong..

I really want to finish this series quartet because it will be one less "world" to care about in all of the books I had to read. I don't want to think of it like a task to be done and let's move on, but the reality is exactly that. I guess I could say it's not a hardship but these stories are only average for me and like I said to someone recently, these days I enjoy more certain types of plots and authors than a particular genre.
I used to love PNR and for a while it was pretty much my favorite type of book but with time and repetition of ideas I kind of started to move on. This doesn't mean I no longer like PNR because I DO, but truth to be told, I'm now more picky about it than before.

I think that, as it has happened with other authors and the previous installments in this series, so does this book feels like lacking in greatness. I can't help but think that  this world is full of potential but the way the author chose to execute the ideas, whether because of page limit of personal choice, the result was an average tale but not as amazing as it could be.
I guess my biggest issue, in terms of writing is how this world doesn't feel engaging nor addictive to read about. The shape shifter and vampires' societies seem too spread out, not united enough or well set. I know this is part of the whole conflict but it still feels like I'm just reading about a bunch of guys who happen to be shapeshifters but without any order or community. I've learned I enjoy these things a lot in PNRs.

As for this title in particular, I still read it better than I did the others. I don't think it was because I already knew what to expect, in truth I think the author achieved a better plot and character's development. I was more curious about these characters and how they would get their HEA and not just to get it over with.
Emma is a sweet woman and despite all the clichés surrounding the concept of herself as a heroine, I liked knowing more about her and how she would need to change her life, her behavior...
Caine is a recurrent character but he always seemed sort of childish so I had a hard time seeing him act as an adult because his personality was never as developed as Emma's, especially when it came to his ideas and background. Again, many clichés and used ideas from any PNR, so it was hard to read any deeper meanings in things.

All in all, this is a simple, average story that could gain a lot if it were published in a different brand with other types of rules. For its aim, I can't say it was badly done, but personally I would have liked something more engaging and more passionate.
Oh and the cover...so not fit to the couple's presence, neither is described as scary and unlikable as the models seem to be. Some covers are really unexplainable...
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment