Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Kresley Cole - Dark Skye

As a boy, Thronos, prince of Skye Hall, loved Lanthe, a mischievous Sorceri girl who made him question everything about his Vrekener clan. But when the two got caught in the middle of their families’ war, tragedy struck, leaving Thronos and Lanthe bitter enemies. Though centuries have passed, nothing can cool his seething need for the beautiful enchantress who scarred his body—and left an even deeper impression on his soul.
Lanthe, a once-formidable sorceress struggling to reclaim her gifts, searches for love and acceptance with all the wrong immortal suitors. But she’s never forgotten Thronos, the magnificent silver-eyed boy who protected her until she was ripped from the shelter of his arms. One harrowing night changed everything between them. Now he’s a notorious warlord with a blood vendetta against Lanthe, hunting her relentlessly.
With their families locked in conflict and battles raging all around them, will Thronos and Lanthe succumb to the brutal chaos that threatens everything they cherish? Or will the fragile bond they formed so long ago spark a passion strong enough to withstand even the darkest doubts?  


Comment: It was with great expectations that I anticipated reading this book. Not only because it took a long time for this particular couple to have their HEA since we were "told" they would end up together but also because since the book arrived at my house I had to wait to get to it.
I already knew others had loved it and considering I did like the previous one a lot, I was really motivated to read it.
 
This is Lanthe and Thronos story, they have going against each other for a long time - a lot of books ago - and now, after the happenings of the last books because of the Order kidnappings and actions, Thonos finally catches Melanthe.
Trying to run away from the Order island and escaping enemies proves hard but it does allow them more than enough time to talk and to solve their issues. But even when things seem to turn well for them, there's still a final obstacle to overcome and can they honor their love?
 
I ended up enjoying this story. I still think it could have been better considering all the preparation time, if we can call it that, until it was finally their time. The story itself was good, I liked how their relationship developed and they talked and the plot moved forward at the same time while they battled enemies and obstacles.
I think the author thought about this correctly and did things well. My issues come from my own personal perspective and preferences. So, I'd say the book may be possibly better but for me, some things weren't as perfect.
 
The plot, like I said, worked out fine. I liked how the characters' change of heart, the new things they learned helped them navigate murky waters and find a common ground to be able to help each other, to compromise and how that affected their behavior. Basically, the plot is about Thronos and Lanthe getting away from the ones that chase them, they come to a compromise, they start to trust and understand the other better, they fight enemies and after an acceptance of the bond between them, they have to hold on to their happiness.
I was still glad many other characters wee present, it's always positive for me when we see beloved characters show up and be part of a world. It proves me that the author has consideration for the world she created and the readers that enjoy it.
 
The relationship between Thronos and Lanthe is funny, sweet and (to me personally) sometimes imperfect. We see them go through many emotions before the HEA happens. I don't have any issue with their personalities and the way they must work things out.
The one thing that bothers me was something the author kept putting on the page and concerns Lanthe's actions while away from Thronos.  I don't think I'd make such a big deal out of it but it was an element stressed out often and it started to feel unavoidable. Usually I don't care about the character's sexual past but in this story it had quite the highlight because of Thronos POV. We obviously learn a lot about them in this book and their story has a lot of hidden things to deal with.
I think all the references to it were exaggerated and for me, it painted a picture of Lanthe I don't think is very positive but if we think global, it didn't have to be such a big deal.
 
Anyway, al things considered, it was still a good story, a great installment in this Immortals After Dark series and it offered many clues about other characters too. The romance wasn't 100% perfect but it ended up positively and hopeful.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment