Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Jane Davitt - Wild Raspberries

When runaway Daniel Seaton inadvertently trespasses on Tyler Edward's land, Tyler nearly shoots him on sight.
Tyler's got a lot of years under his belt, and his past doesn't let him accept strangers easily. Dan's situation is dire enough that Tyler takes him home, at least for a little while, and that turns out to be a good decision when Tyler's injured and needs Dan's help.
Tyler's learning to trust, and Dan's settling in to a new life, but things aren't always what they seem. Between interfering friends, injuries, and their attraction to each other, Tyler and Dan have plenty of to deal with even before Tyler's previous career returns to haunt them. Can they overcome what lies in the past to have a future with each other?


Comment: Another of the several m/m books I had to read is this one and I finally picked it. I can't remember why I decided I'd read it or why I'd like it but here it is and it's one more book to get out of the pile.

This is the story of Daniel, a young man running from home because his father didn't appreciate the idea Daniel is gay.
Daniel is young but he soon realizes what it takes to live alone and on the road and the price to be given a ride. Daniel is hungry in one of his stops towards Canada and he is caught red handed eating raspberries by Tyler, the property's owner.
Tyler makes Daniel leave after a small conversation but feels sorry for him and catches him when he sees him faint from hunger.
Tyler decides to help Daniel until he leaves but then he is the one who needs help after a bad fall and the two of them start to exchange confidences, stories, their pasts' tragedies... there's a connection between them, but can they have something solid here?

This is my first full length book by this author but I had previously read a short story in an anthology and liked her style. I was curious to see what I'd think about a bigger story and I have to say it wasn't as impressive as I imagined.
How frustrating, to become interesting and eager to read a book based on its promising blurb or concept and then... the cake is not as tasty as it's decoration after all.

What made this story seem interesting to me was the idea someone needs help but instead of being given charity or the kick out, he is helped by helping, thus making him useful. I thought this would show me someone who knew things were bad and then by proving himself, he would find his own worth and maybe the romance would be great. This is labeled a romance, after all.
These words may be a summarized description of the plot but in reality, Daniel wasn't as humble as I imagined, he was young yes, but the focus was too much on the sexual aspect of things. I like romance and romantic scenes to make the books more vibrant but a bit more realism wouldn't ruin the story and it seems too weird people just happen to talk about being gay and sex so soon after meeting each other...even if both are gay. It just seems rushed, that's all.

Daniel is interesting enough, he's too young and immature at times for his personality to be completely charming to me. He apparently spent time on the streets but his personality doesn't show that yet, which is good for him but at times he does act like his age and that's not always captivating.
Tyler is the mysterious one, we get his past was tough, his military background too harsh and strong to bear easily but he is still a good person. I had a difficult time warming up to him, tough. I get all his ideas and decisions to not let Daniel come too close while still feeling attracted to him, I understand where his mind is at, but often he seems to act too much as a lone wolf and combining this with a younger kid who isn't sure about who he is can seem too unbalanced.

I think this was the thing that bothered me the most, not that there's a age gap between them (10 or 12 years) but the fact their backgrounds are too far part and I don't think the author convinced me they were better together. 
There is a sequel, which by the blurb indicates they are going to stick together while dealing with more issues but to be honest, I don't feel like reading it.

In a way, the pace of the story is good because it takes time for feelings and notions to change but at the same time, I lost interest in the two guys and how their relationship could evolve. Then there's this almost "division" between the main couple and everyone else, they barely interact with others, which is fine, they can totally be the focus of this story but there's something about the way they almost look like an island that makes this too confined in terms of development. I guess if more characters had a stronger role or we could compare their separate interactions with others or seeing them inserted in a community would be better than just having them analyze one another and their connection on their own.

Close to finishing the book I was just glad it would be over. I mean, this isn't bad and I did like there was a HFN very much close to being a HEA but I can't say I was wowed and impressed by everything.
It was a good way to be entertained but I don't think it will be memorable for me in a few months.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment