Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Mini-comments

Happy new year! ❤

To start the new year of posts, I'm going to begin with mini-comments of the last three books I've read in 2018 and that I haven't found time to write longer about.
The blurbs can be found in goodreads or the author's websites. I'm not including them this time because it's three books and I want to keep this a shorter post.


Ripper by Isabel Allende
This is a very obvious work by Allende, her writing style is pretty much what she has gotten us used to. I know it can be a little difficult to enjoy because she tells a lot more than she shows but if one can engage with the style, it can be a good read and for me, it is.
This time, though, the author has attempted a mystery/thriller oriented plot instead of the simply fiction she has became known for. I liked this effort of hers, the crime investigation was interesting to follow and the plot centered in a group of young kids who meet online to discuss what happens in regard to the crimes/murders was contemporary and easy to imagine. Yes, this is not a perfect plot nor the best thriller ever but I was constantly surprised by this element or that. Some details about the character's relationship weren't explored as I imagined and the end was terribly disappointing. Not badly done but it went a path I certainly don't think it's the one I'd have chosen. Still, a great effort.
Grade: 7/10

Watch Over Me by Daniela Sacerdoti
I got this book after a friend's recommendation around two years ago. I finally picked it because the idea of reading about two people connecting in Scotland after both went through bad situations in their lives is usually catnip to my taste in contemporary stories. However, I must say the two protagonists weren't always people I liked reading about, their thoughts weren't captivating for me that much. Sadly, this story is told in first person narrator and besides the two protagonists there are three other characters "telling" their side of things which can nullify the idea of the first person. Even with that aside, the fact the heroine kept talking about wanting to be a mother (very valid) and the hero about his ex not wanting to take responsibility of their daughter (she has reasons) made them bond but for me this was a boring story, period.
Grade: 6/10


The Spare Room by Helen Gardner
I got this one the last time I went to the library. It's a very short book, fictional but told as if the author is the narrator. It's her tale of how she helped a terminal cancer patient, a friend of hers, to go for some alternative treatments while the friend stayed in her house for three weeks and all the effort, work and patience that entails, as well as how tiring on the mind it can be.
I've worked in the past as a caretaker for a lady with Alzheimer's. Her daughter paid me to help taking care of the older lady when she wasn't there. I know how time consuming and emotionally heavy it is to take someone's feelings and shortcomings into consideration. I liked this book because Helen the friend didn't want to allow her friend Nicola to be exploited by deceivers and people who promised her she wouldn't be sick anymore while still caring for her, physically and emotionally. This was a pleasant surprise when it came to how the story was told.
Grade: 8/10

Soon I'll post my best of and statistics lists of 2018.
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment