Thursday, January 3, 2019

Reading resolutions for 2019

Unlike many other readers, I don't always plan much on which changes I'd do the years after one ends. 
I have many books to read and I do distribute a certain amount through the months, so that I can follow a list and not get to the point I debate on what's next. However, I don't usually binge on an author for weeks in a row nor do I plan ahead themes I like or a specific genre. I tend to mix everything up so that it feels like I'm getting to all types of books equally. 
Yes, I like to read things in order when I start a series and if possible, I like to space the installments to not get bored or too dedicated to just one style/genre.

I'm a pretty much simple reader when it comes to reading tactics.
However, until now, I have been a firm believer that all books must be read. Whether it was a paperback, or an ebook, a book I own or a borrowed one, I'd look at them all the same.
In some situations, it was a martyrdom to finish some, especially if was borrowed from a friend or if it had been pricier. Books from the library or cheap ones wouldn't give me the same "vibe" but I'd finish them all anyway.

I have always told myself I'd make the effort, that I'd sort of honor the author's work and time put into it by simply reading.
Alas, my goodwill can't last forever. I'm not getting young, my TBR is constantly around the 600s (according to GR but there are plenty more I felt lazy adding there) and no matter the fact I read around 200/year, the waiting to be read it always in the same 500/600 mark. I just can't read fast enough so sadly, I've decided to join the dark forces of those who abandon a book. 😞

I'm starting my DNF career this year - not that I do plan on doing it often of course and it's not like all not-as-good books should be easily put aside! - and part of me feels a little like a cheater, I mean, just because it's not perfect, it should be given a chance!
However, the terrible loss of time and will and fun and enjoyment I felt with the experience of reading some books... I really am going to become just another reader who will not finish books.
Thinking about this, I remembered that over at Book Riot I've read a post about this subject and it can be found here: https://bookriot.com/2018/11/14/how-i-learned-to-embrace-my-dnf-pile/
It's easier to compute not finishing a book if one feels more people think alike lol

So, for everyone happy reading, happy resolutions and of you also decide on not finishing books not being enjoyed by you, never fear, there's always more in the pile!!
(Images here and here)

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Welcome to DNF'ing! I still struggle with this at times, but it's so liberating. Life is too short to finish books you aren't enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Wendy I don't think it will be easy for me but my TBR isn't doable considering my reading speed and the size of the pile.
      Hopefully, my focus on certain preferences and the books I tend to be curious about will make it possible for the DNF to not be often.
      Happy reading!

      Delete