Friday, January 4, 2019

Statistics and books of 2018

And now the summary post of the year...
 
Statistics!
 
In 2018 I've read 207 books, more in October and November (20 books) and less in July (14 books). This means an average of 17.52 books/month.
All these books mean 63468 pages, an average of 306.6 per book. Curiously, I've read more pages in November (6963) and less in July (4399).

Of all the books read, 124 were by known authors to me and 83 by new authors.

The first book of the year was The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt, in the middle was Unseen by Jana DeLeon and the last one was Ripper by Isabel Allende.

Of all the books I read, I loved 13, liked 114, thought 71 were so-so, I didn't enjoy much of 9 and none was totally bad for me.
Like last year, the genre I read the most was Contemporary (55), Historical (40), Fiction(39), PNR (28), M/M (22), Fantasy/Sci-Fi (16) and thrillers (6).

I've purchased 77 books, spending around 631,18€. An average of 52,60€/month and 6,4 books month.
I spent more in June (143€) and less in December (7,50€).
I bought one more book and spent 5,61€ more than in 2017...

My TBR says around 600 on Goodreads but some of them I don't actually have yet and I have some I didn't add to the site. I know, it's huge and I can't keep up...and it hasn't improved since last year :/ I don't think it ever will unless I remove books.

Books Read!

->I gave 5 stars to 13 books but mostly because they meant something for me at the moment. I probably would change my opinion were I to read them with a different mood. They aren't all well liked by the majority of readers who tried them but, for me, they really worked. 
Of them all, one was a re-read but I noticed the genres are quite prolific.
Another intewresting note: most of the books I've rad were not oublished in 2018. I'm a "collector" so I rarely have time to dedicate myself that much to new releases. Besides, after a few months or years, the price usually can be found cheaper...
 
I didn't give 1 star to any book but gave 2 stars to nine books which, in my view, count as "negative" ones.  Of those nine, three are Urban Fantasy that nowadays has to have specific elements for me to enjoy so I probably would have DNF'd them had I started to do it sooner. Of the other six, all have some detail I disliked, so I appreciated them less for both story and execution while the UF ones weren't globally interesting enough for me.

Favorites in order (at this time)
Absent in Spring by Mary Westmacott
Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews
Diamond Fire by Ilona Andrews
The Girl Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger
Hold Me by Courtney Milan
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Gospel According to Christ by Richrd Zimler
The Seventh Gate by Richard Zimler

Favorite M/M books (no order)
Sumage Solution by GL Carriger
Omega Objection by GL Carriger
Books by Lilah Pace and Lily Morton

Less liked books (from less disliked to not as disliked)
Manwhore by Katy Evans
Spellbound Falls by Janet Chapman
How to Bang a Millionaire by Alexis Hall
The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
Deeper by Robin York
Deliver Me by Farrah Rochon

Best in general: 
Absent in Spring because the writing is superb and the story so well told and played by the main character, I can't fault it.

Worst in general:
Manwhore because the writing felt poor, the plot isn't well thought, the characters act silly and childish and the end just a way to make readers pay more for something not that good.

💧Globally, I've noticed I'm more attentive to certain types of books now, more focused on stories that I feel were well planned and written. The fun part of reading a new book is the expectation that could be the best yet, ever. It's bad when it isn't but what wonders when it leaves you with a well spent time feeling!
Happy reading everyone, and until this year's statistics!

No comments:

Post a Comment