Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Mini - Comments

The last two books I've read in June were both by Portuguese authors. 
Neither has been translated into English but I'll just write a few lines about each one just so some acknowledgement can be registered (for when I'm tired of the blog I can always come and reminiscence).

Galveias by José Luis Peixoto
This is the first book I read by this young author. In this novel he shares a fictionalized tale about a group of characters in 1984, who all live in a small village in Alentejo, Galveias (the name in the title) where tradition and a way of living still take precedence to any novelty. There's also a lot of poverty and simplicity in the way of life. What he describes about these characters could be seen in, probably, many other similar villages in the region. 
In fact, the author himself lived his childhood in this village, which actually exists, only the characters were created to embody behaviors and choices and possible mentalities people had at the time.
I liked it because I, too, live in small village in the region of Alentejo and some of the little things also happened here, although only generalizing.
I should say the plot isn't really a plot as this reads like a summary on several characters, who they are, what their life is and how did they get to the point in which the story starts. I think it was worth it by the beautiful prose, the evocation of what it means to live in such a place and the memories that seep in when I remember similar situations being described to me by my grandparents and even my parents still.
Grade: 7/10


A Casa de Eulália by Manuel Tiago
This is short book, the title could be translated into "Eulália's house" and it was written by an author many didn't know whose real identity he had until t was revealed he was, in fact, Alvaro Cunhal, the biggest name of the Communist Party in Portugal, and one of the most cherished members of the Portuguese resistance against fascism.
He only wrote 6 fiction stories, the rest was all non fiction. In this one he shares what could have been the life of three members of the party who were helping the Republicans in Spain, before Franco took the power in 1939.
The story itself is a clear message, is severely politicized but that was to be expected. What I was a little disappointed with was the writing style, the lack of characterization. This reads like a snippet, a little short story but it wasn't truly engrossing thinking of the plot alone.
Grade: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment