Monday, January 10, 2011

William Gladstone - The Twelve


The Twelve is an extraordinary and unforgettable novel about a most unusual and unsuspecting hero. As a child, Max lives in a world of colors and numbers, not speaking until the age of six. As an adult, Max ventures on a journey of destiny to discover the secret behind the ancient Mayan prophecy about the "end of time," foretold to occur on December 21, 2012.

At fifteen years old, Max has a near-death experience during which he has a vision that reveals the names of twelve unique individuals. While Max cannot discern the significance of the twelve names, he is unable to shake the sense that they have deep meaning. All of The Twelve seem connected, and all of them are important to what will happen at the exact moment the world as we know it will end.

The novel takes the reader on a series of spectacular adventures to Jerusalem, Athens, London, India, Istanbul, China, Japan, and Mexico, culminating in an understanding of why and how Max and The Twelve are destined to unite and discover the true meaning of December 21, 2012.

The outcome of their meeting could fulfill an ancient Mayan prophecy, controlling the future of life on our planet. Only The Twelve can provide the answers, as the fate of all humanity rests in the balance.

Comment: When I read the blurb I was pretty convinced the book was some kind of adventure with lots of action...you see, a bit like Indiana Jones meets Mayas.
So not that.
I guess if I knew what kind of book it was before I might have aproached it wirh different eyes, but the way I did it, it didn't tell me uch.
I don't think about upcomig changes or the end of the world or the beginning of a change (as implied in the book) so the theme isn't something that I find that interesting. The story is interesting enough to have compelled me to turn the pages but after the last one neither did I had a sense of a read well done or did I think I must concern me with the date of the 21st of december...
The book has a spirtual side too, we humans should worry about the world - I'm pretty sure we do, however our societies don't let us worry too long about that when our own personal world is in much danger because of the crisis, but that doesn't matter here - and unite to help it. There's someone in the book that somehow works as a sort of Messias, but if one chooses to believe there's someone like that out there, then one can, but personally, I don't.
In the end, it was a interesting read, for sure, but not my type of enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment