Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Devyn Quinn - Siren's Call

There are some things that can't stay buried -- even in the deep of the ocean. As a woman with a secret, lighthouse keeper Tessa Lonike savors her solitude on the island of Little Mer, off the coast of Maine. During a violent storm, Tessa spots a man thrashing in the ice-cold waters and dives in to save him, using her ability as a mermaid to easily pull him to shore. When Kenneth Randall awakens on the beach, he is alone, left with the haunting memory of his beautiful flame-haired savior. And a year later, when Kenneth meets Tessa again, he's determined not to let her slip away. Just as the desire between them begins to burn, Tessa's archaeologist ex-lover comes back to town with a tantalizing clue to her murky heritage. The trio travels to the Mediterranean in search of answers, and what they find there will change Tessa's life forever. She'll have to choose between the world of her people and the call of her heart....

Comment: When I picked up this book I was very intrigued by the fact it was about mermaids. There aren't many books with mermaid protagonists or, at least, not that I know of. I guess the vampire/angel tend isn't over yet, who knows, maybe mermaids and trolls are next ah ah.
Hum, so...this story... Tessa Lives in an island that belongs to her family for ages. She's a light keeper (how I wish I'd live near lighthouses) and she's a mermaid so it's kind of handy she lives so near the ocean. She has some financial problems and her sisters - also mermaids - want her to sell the island because they no longer have the ability to maintain the house, but she doesn't want to because it's part of their legacy and their parents' memories.
Kenneth is a sad, depressed man. One day, while in vacations near the island where Tessa lives, he decides to kill himself and tries to drown but Tessa sees him and jumps to the water, becomes a mermaid and saves him.
One year later, Kenneth is better, he recovered and dealt with some of his issues, namely the death of his wife, which was the cause for his sadness in the first place. Tessa is still struggling in her island and when Kenneth returns because he couldn't forget her face somehow, they meet properly and although Tessa wants to deny it at first, there's chemistry between them.
...or should have if I got convinced of that. Which I wasn't.
So, at first sight this story had everything to work out, interesting theme, characters, mystery, romance, a lighthouse, the sea and a lost civilization in the bottom of the ocean. I guess I can say many people will enjoy this story too. In amazon most people who rated it, liked it.
Now, the main reason why I didn't like it that much it's because Tessa annoyed me a lot. I mean, really a lot. She is stubborn and independent and I don't blame her to be like that, she's also suspicious of love because she has had a bad experience, and she wants to preserve something that means a lot to her, but she's not likable to me because she tries too hard to be all these things and I was never convinced she was really changing her mind about love even when she said so. The thing is, in the story her ex returns because he's an archaeologist and he found out about the lost mermaid civilization but he's vain and selfish and many other things and still she lets him play her and her new developing relationship with Kenneth and although she is portraying someone very close to real, I mean, many people can't resist their exes, they're exes because they were an it before after all, but to allow him to touch her and to not see his moves even when saying she's mad at him...ahh it was too much. In real life people can be as doubtful and weak as they want, but in romanceland I like some determination and certainty.
So after the ex returns and Kenneth helps her to look for her roots by financing the trip (he's rich) they all go, yep, Tessa and th two guys - I really don't like love triangles even when it's obvious with whom she will end up with - and try to find the lost kingdom well under the sea. Tessa being a mermaid helps this little enterprise, of course. So they find it and discover many things about it and it's not all fun.
The adventure part of the book was great, the author has managed to create a detailed world, many interesting points. Then the romance part ruined it because Tessa isn't likable to me and Kenneth deserved someone better I think.
After all this, in the end I didn't really liked it. I liked some parts but not enough to make me keep reading because who knows if the sister's stories are better, but I just don't have the time to read everything. The writing is apealing yes, but then the romance itself...meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment