Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nalini Singh - Archangel's Consort


Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux and her lover, the lethally beautiful archangel Raphael, have returned home to New York only to face an uncompromising new evil…
A vampire has attacked a girls’ school -- the assault one of sheer, vicious madness -- and it is only the first act. Rampant bloodlust takes vampire after vampire, threatening to make the streets run with blood. Then Raphael himself begins to show signs of an uncontrolled rage, as inexplicable storms darken the city skyline and the earth itself shudders.

The omens are suddenly terrifyingly clear.

An ancient and malevolent immortal is rising. The violent winds whisper her name: Caliane. She has returned to reclaim her son, Raphael. Only one thing stands in her way: Elena, the consort who must be destroyed…
 

Comment: This is the third novel in the Guild Hunter series by the author and the action takes place right after the end of the previous book. In this story, something is happening in the world and they believe it has something to do with a very ancient archangel waking up, Raphael’s mother.

In the story, Elena is still learning how to fight with her wings and she’s still the object of admiration and surprise by others, as she’s the only angel Made. Raphael has a lot on his mind too because strange things and crimes are occurring and he feels it’s his mother’s awakening after several years Sleeping. The two of them also have to deal with the growing attachment of their relationship and how the other means the world to them.

I had some hopes for this book because after the 1st book being rather meh for me and the second one more interesting in my perspective, I was curious to see how things would be in this one. In terms of romance, things are progressing and it’s quite a relief to see the couple talking and assuring each other about the trueness and deepness of their feelings and the bond between them. It’s sweet and comforting to know they’re still solid.
I also enjoyed seeing some key scenes with other characters, in particular the Seven members. I know two of them already have their stories and I wonder if the author will write a full length novel for the remaining five. I’ll read the stories already out to see how it goes, but  I know that the upcoming novel in this series is again about Raphael and Elena and although I’m glad they’re happy, I can’t help but wonder why again, I mean, they’re happy, no doubts about it...unless the author plans to change that into something more?

Despite the good parts, I ended up not enjoying the book that much. It’s simple, nothing actually happens in the book. The action doesn’t really move forward, and despite the good tidbits why the effort to this novel. The same information could have been said in fewer lines, after all, in the end, what happened was Raphael’s mother waking up and that’s it. I mean, the whole book people would discuss the fact she might need to die and how Raphael dreaded that, she’s his mother even after the bad things she has done, but she woke up and she carried on to her merry life as an ancient, I don’t know what she will do now…oh well.
I guess some reader might feel it was important for Raphael to talk about her and what it meant for him, but a whole book about this – it seemed so to me! – was a bit too much I think.
So, this wasn’t the best or stronger book in the series for me. I think I’ll never feel as passionate about this series as I do about the other one, it’s a different feel and I don’t mean only the PNR vs. UF debate. 

Anyway, like I said, I’ll try the stories about the other guys…if I don’t end up enjoying them I might consider to stop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment