Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Lilah Pace - His Royal Favorite

James, Prince of Wales, is making history. He's decided to come out to his subjects—and the world. However, telling the truth means exposing his relationship with lone-wolf reporter Benjamin Dahan. Although Ben never wanted commitment, the unexpected depth of his feelings leads him to join James in the media's harsh spotlight.
When the news story explodes across the globe, Ben can endure the mockery and dirty jokes. But after his tragic past is cruelly revealed, his life begins to implode. Can even his love for James be worth this?
James has it no easier. His revelation divides the country and sparks turmoil within the royal family. He must struggle to defend not only himself and Ben, but also his younger sister, who hovers on the brink of a breakdown that could endanger her life.
Is Ben strong enough to survive the onslaught and stand by James' side? And will James have to make a choice between Ben and the crown?


Comment: This is the second and final installment in the duology about an alternate reality where the prince of Wales would be gay and how he would have found love and the courage to come out to his country. I was quite eager to see how this story would play out.

In this second story, the prince tells the nation he is gay and that he has a partner, Ben. However, things are not easy for them, especially for Ben, not as used to the life in the public eye. But despite the adversity and the possible outcomes of James' coming out, the two guys find courage and resilience in their feelings and they face what is thrown at them. Will James still become king one day despite what his did? Will Ben be strong enough to keep on loving James despite feeling he's stuck in a situation he can't control?

I was really happy to start this story. It only took me longer to finish because, sadly, real life got in the way and I got very busy during the weekend, otherwise I'd have finished a lot sooner. I was really glad the story moved along the lines I expected but never went towards silly ways nor to exaggerated scenes just to make things more crazy or dramatic. I really liked how the author used a tone in this story that felt very appealing to me.

Thankfully, this story os pretty much focused on James and Ben as they deal with James' coming out. I think this was portrayed in a very adult and well thought manner, as I'd like to see in real life, were something similar to happen (even if with other public people). Both James and ben behaved well, neither acted silly about this, nor were they put into situations where drama would follow. I think the author did a good job creating scenarios that feel believable with all the protocols that must exist but at the same time, we still had access to the guys' feelings and their emotions and this dichotomy - public vs personal attitude was well balanced.

I was curious to see how such a decision would affect Ben. Of course his life was the one that changed the most but this isn't too different from any commoner who would join any royal family. I believed the way things progressed in his life. I expected a bit more angst but I'm even more glad the author decided to add it in small amounts which means the characters talked, discussed things, never assumed or thought for the other person and that can be summarized as a stable and well meant relationship. I also think the end makes more sense thanks to the fact Ben and James didn't have an easy path but didn't let drama get them.

There are some specific situations both have to deal with but again, I liked where this went. I can understand why the story felt boring to some readers, this is more the validation of something than an adventure of novelties but to be honest, for me it worked, because I liked we got to see their daily lives, their goals come to life. It was also romantic, we keep on having scenes of their personal time and that is both sweet and hot at times.
There were parts I liked less, that I feel weren't as interesting but overall, this was a good story, well paced and well presented.
If one can put aside the unrealistic things, this is quite believable as a whole. For those who like royal stories but not the fluff and fairytale side of it but appreciate twists and solid writing, I think this is a must.
Grade: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment