Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Anne Bishop - Shalador's Lady

For years the Shalador people suffered the cruelties of the corrupt Queens who ruled them, forbidding their traditions, punishing those who dared show defiance, and forcing many more into hiding. Now that their land has been cleansed of tainted Blood, the Rose-Jeweled Queen, Lady Cassidy, makes it her duty to restore it and prove her ability to rule.
But even if Lady Cassidy succeeds, other dangers await. For the Black Widows see visions within their tangled webs that something is coming that will change the land-and Lady Cassidy-forever...


Comment: I love this series, it's so magical and full of wonderful details that you can't help but be immersed in them, can't help wishing things go right for the characters you love but mostly, you can't help enjoying tr ride until they do because you know they will be alright.
This is the 8th book in the Dark Jewels series. In each book we get to see a little bit more of all the characters we love and how their lives are progressing.

This book follows the action from the previous book, Shadow Queen. In this 8th book the queen Cassidy has to deal with people from her past, people who mistreat her and still find the strength to help her new court and find the courage to stand by it even when she's afraid she'll lose everything again.

Why I loved this book? Because it's the same familiar writing, the same writing style that makes me eager to keep reading, I can't stress enough the fact the author writes about a fantasy world but she puts in so many domestic scenes, so many apparently unimportant things that make the story closer to the reader, make us want to know more about their lives and even what they're laughing or fighting about. It's addictive and passionate, in my opinion.
This story has a bit of a lesson which is, even if something bad happened to you and now the same thing looms ahead, perhaps it's time to try a different tactic to deal with it and perhaps it's time to trust in the people who stand by you. Cassidy had to gain trust in her new court in order to deal with what happened before and thus, being a better queen, with people who really want and like her.
Of course, we get to see all the beloved characters we love since the first book and that are still part of the world. I admit it's one of the best things.
In the end, I was left happy because things happened in the best way and there was a note of hope to, which makes me glad to think things will work out even for the characters who weren't as lovable. It's really such a pleasure to read a book by this author.

-> Now...and this doesn't relate to this book, but I have to mention it...
There's a book after this one, released last year. It's one of those books with a collection of stories in the Blood world. In those stories we get to see a chapter end and some characters don't make it. I get why, the author has her reasons and she wanted to find closure, I guess, for a series that she gave to us. However, I feel so bad about this but I don't think 'll read it, at least not in the near future. I know some things will happen that I can't deal with right now and in a way, putting it aside is a kind of defense mechanism, like it's not there...You can guess that some deadly things will happen and I liked this world so much, I felt connected to the characters so much too, it pains me to think of them like that.
Isn't this stupid? But yes, I'm one of those who cries over the death of a fictional character...I won't spoil anything more, but part of me feels pretty stupid to not be able to just get it over with, I mean, it's not like I'd hate the writing, but...
So, this to say I'll stop this world here. I hope I can find the will to read the last one, perhaps when my memory isn't as good or as fresh.It's a world of magic and it's so hard to pretend magic doesn't exist anymore even in a wonderful book...

No comments:

Post a Comment