Thursday, May 30, 2019

Grace Draven - The Brush of Black Wings

During a foray into the woods of Neith, Martise stumbles upon a ruined temple and reawakens not only a power she thought lost, but also something far more malevolent. An ancient darkness, imprisoned in an eternal cage, sees a chance at freedom in a woman once held in bondage.
Desperate to save her, the Master of Crows will break the barriers of time and worlds to challenge an entity born of forgotten magic and the remnants of souls—a demon king who once led hordes of the damned across the face of the world.
The destroyer of gods will battle the destroyer of men to reclaim her and discover a truth the keepers of history once conspired to conceal.
A tale of revelation and redemption.


Comment: This is the follow-up novella to the amazing book Master of Crows by author Grace Draven. I really liked the main book but for some reason I procrastinated reading this novella. In a way it seems my instinct was correct because despite the fact this was an interesting story, I just didn't feel as much connection to it as I did with the first one.

This a fantasy story featuring the protagonist of the first book and now that some time has passed since the events of the full length tale, Silhara and Martise are happily married and in love and living very simple lives among all the domestic and magical tasks they work with everyday.
One day, though, while looking for mushrooms in the forest surrounding the castle, Martise stumbles on an ancient rock and somehow wakes up a being linked to the old place. In an effort to get help, she uses her power which causes the being to "wake up"and later Silhara needs to help and save her. What they discover is that the strange powerful being just awakened has a secret and a need and will our couple be able to solve the obstacle in their way?

I won't go into much description of comments about this, since this is a small story. I liked revisiting the main characters after having enjoyed their romance so well in the first book but to be honest. this was a much simpler story and not only due to the page limit.
Having a small amount of content to think of makes things a little too...vague. It was nice to have little clues on the couple and it's definitely great to see them happy.

However, thinking on how much I liked their original story, thinking on how long it's been since that and also bearing in mind I've read other books by the author in the meantime that, although not bad, weren't as addictive for me, I think I can say one needs to really like the style of this author to appreciate specific details.

I'd say my biggest complain with this story is that it feels unfinished. It gave the reader the closure regarding the couple (yay, they are happy) but it created other possibilities in terms of future stories because of what we learn. I think this author really likes to create a good atmosphere, to explain things, to add details and descriptions and often this is enough. But I can't help feeling there's also a slight sense of detachment in how the story is told vs the emotion supposed being portrayed. 
In the first book I didn't feel that but with the other books by this author I did and also with this novella. As if the emotion isn't really shown, just the fact the characters say that. I can't explain well.

This was a good enough story but there are too many things left in the air and if one were to consider this as stand alone story, then it felt weaker than it could have.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment