Thursday, June 27, 2019

A small comment and a link

-> Since the book to which the following comment is referred to isn't that meritorious of a long text, I've decided to add here a link regarding a interesting post I've seen in a website, that I think it's quite fascinating to let readers think.

In the first-ever parody of one of the best-selling novels of all time, a nasty murder points to lots of sinister and important mysteries that will change the world. Why, for example, did the dead man leave so many bafflingly inane clues when a sticky note would have done? Why does our code-breaking hero know so much useless stuff, and why is he usually wrong about it anyway? And what’s the truth behind that frightfully sinister symbol, the publishers’ circle? 

I've recently read this book (originally published in, and that has been in the pile for years) which is described from the start to be a parody of the DaVinci Code, a book that has taken readers by surprise and, whether one likes or hates the genre, it was very successful.
In this adaptation, the author has intended to write a story that picks all the usual clichés in these types of books and exacerbated them to the point of silliness. If one takes this into consideration, then I could say it is a success of its own, but if not, it can be seen as very poor indeed.
To be honest, I went into it with the idea of laughing and that I did. The story is very silly, the characters only act as the expected role we then to put them in. I really couldn't say this is worth more than just the experience of checking the clichés and the steps authors of thrillers and adventure use to make their plots move forward. 
I've read in someone's review that this story highlights the bad aspects of Broen's work but I can admit I was not thinking of it and the funny details were so many that one could let go of the original inspiration. I think it's a good book to laugh and to "cleanse" the palate between other reads.
Grade: 5/10

-//-

I tend to like checking the BookBub blog because often they makes lists (I love lists!) about books or things related to books and sometimes I do find interesting titles to add to my TBR.
I liked the following list, it's a small summary of some readers' preferences in what to read and how - if others share the same likes - it can be easier to have things in common if they do.
 https://www.bookbub.com/blog/deal-breaker-books-reader-blurbs

I haven't read some of those books so I'd say, this very moment, three books that would define my preferences in reading and that if someone didn't like them might mean we wouldn't have that much in common could be:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Kiss of Snow by Nalini Singh
When Venus Fell by Deborah Smith
This means I tend to like classics where romance is hinted at, I like paranormal romance where the author establishes a great community and I like contemporary romances with sweetness but well thought characters.

What about you? Which books could/would define you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment