Saturday, March 9, 2024

Mini - Comments

The following two books were chosen for the same reason: I'm doing two challenges with one of my GR groups and one of the themes for this month is to pick books set in an African country. I went to the library and picked up these two, both by authors I was not familiar with, but between the short page count of one (189) and the larger font size of the other, my decisions were pretty easy.  The editions I picked are in Portuguese and those are the covers I'm including here. 


Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith is set in Botswana. I confess I know nothing about this country but I was aware the author was quite famous for this series of a lady detective. This is the second installment of the series but I have not read the first one.
The story is simple - and short - and focuses on the investigation of a missing person some years ago. The individual is presumed dead but no one really knows how. At the same time, the characters are dealing with changes in their domestic lives.
I liked the apparent simplicity of this story. The characters aren't complex people hiding terrible secrets, in fact the main ones are quite relatable. I also liked the constant tidbits added to pretty much all descriptions and conversations regarding the way of life in Botswana. I think the author managed to convey how things are meant to be in that country, I think I got a small idea about the way of life, and how people see themselves and others. Obviously, generalizing, since the author doesn't go deeply into these subjects, but it is enough to make me realize most people probably take guesses and actually know nothing about Botswana.
However, this is a book about a lady detective and I admit I expected a bit more out of this element. The protagonist finds information in an almost too easy way, and the resolution of the case is also easily accomplished. I suppose this might be on purpose, but I will say I had higher expectations. Anyway, this was likable enough that if I find the next installment at the library, I'll likely read it.
Grade: 7/10

-//-

To Where the Turtles Fly by Joaquim Arena is set in Cape Verde. I've loosely translated the title, which is linked to one of the book's main subjects, the investigation of the turtles at a specific part of the Boavista island, which is part of a unique environment. Cape Verde is a country which was formerly a Portuguese colony and although I don't know much about the country's history beyond this, there is more information about it that I know, if comparing with what I know of Botswana.
The author isn't very famous here, from what I can understand. If this title had not caught my attention, I might not even know it existed, but I liked the story enough. I especially liked the theme of the turtles, and how part of the plot is set on the marine biologist who investigates the turtles for a season, trying to determine if their prospects of survival.
At the same time, there are other characters doing, what was to me, secondary stuff, and I will not shy from saying a lot was a bit confusing to me, for it included some shady business deals and characters who never seemed to be fully explained. There is also someone running from something, well two people running from two different problems and everything got a bit confusing.
Therefore, I've focused my attention on the turtles' information and that was the main reason why I consider this to be a positive reading. I don't think I'll read more by the author unless there's a good reason again, like another challenge or something.
Grade: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment