Thursday, August 22, 2024

Ellie Macdonald - Claire

Claire Bannister just wants to be a good teacher so that she and the other ladies of the Governess Club can make enough money to leave their jobs and start their own school in the country. But when the new sinfully handsome and utterly distracting tutor arrives, Claire finds herself caught up in a whirlwind romance that could change the course of her future.
Jacob Knightly has a secret. He is actually the notorious Earl of Rimmel. He's just posing as a tutor to escape his reputation in the city. He never expected to fall in love with the kind and beautiful governess. She is the first person to love him for himself and not his title.
But when Jacob's true identity is revealed, Claire realizes she has risked her reputation and her heart on a man she doesn't truly know. Will Jacob be able to convince her that the Wild Earl has been tamed and that she is the true countess of his heart?

Comment: I have no idea why I decided to add this book to the pile around 10 years ago, but it was likely related to the main character being a governess and, of course, I must have imagined the perfect romance for Claire...

In this story we meet Claire, a governess at a good house, she even cares for the children she is teaching, and her life goes on as predictable while she awaits from news regarding her late father's estate. Claire hopes to regain her childhood estate after her father lost control of their finances, and she estimates she will achieve it after a few years. She is also friends with three other governesses in the area and they dream of having their own school or being tutors without the constrictions of a governess role at someone else's house. While she dreams of this, the family tells her a new tutor for the male children was hired and, from the start, Claire is wary of him, while slightly drawn at the same time. Mr Knightly is not the usual type of tutor and Claire wonders if he is really suited for the task, but as they become sort of friends, everything changes again.

Well, I should say right away that it was a little disappointing this was such a short story. I didn't pay attention before getting the ebook but this is more novella sized than full length and I'm saying this because, as it often happens in these situations, the short amount of pages means the author kind of condensed some things and the story feels rushed and not always consistent. More pages to develop the characters and their circumstances would have helped.

The premise is quite appealing, though. That four friends could join efforts (and money) to be able to have a life as independently as they could felt quite interesting to me to read about. Women didn't have the same chances and rights then as they do now and I was incredibly invested in the idea that these four would want to have what they could out of life in their own terms and, financially, that wasn't always a possibility for women, so here they would try. In the prologue we learn about this but I must say the protagonists were a little too superficially presented, and I could tell the story would not be as immersive as I thought.

Claire seemed to be a very proper lady, and only negligence from her father caused her situation to be the current one. Still, Claire preserved, is trying to do her best and I did like the references to doing the necessary in a world where governesses were often mistreated and abused by others simply because of their station. Since this was mentioned in the prologue I could guess it would feature at some point in the story too... but Claire was a captivating protagonist, trying her best, doing a good job and being the person she had to be to accomplish whatever was necessary to get her goals. I liked her calm, her personality and general attitude.

Then, in comes mr Knightly, the hero. He is introduced as the boys' tutor and he acts in a way which isn't common for a person who must work for someone else, he is arrogant at times, doesn't understand a few nuances due to his role and acts as if someone should serve him. Of course, this is quickly explained when we learn mr Knightly is actually an earl in disguise, trying to keep a low profile while waiting for some issues to be forgotten by the public. It seemed the romance would be obvious, but I was surprised by how Claire did try to keep her distance... if I were her I'd probably do the same but this is romanceland, so...

We have Knightly's POV here and there and he does seem to be a bit reckless and careless of what his actions mean to others. I was not too keen on him, in fact, and when he does try a little to be a tutor and gains others' appreciation, namely Claire's, of course this is meant to be seen as positive but since we know he is playing a part I felt annoyed he would be playing with others this way. At some point, obviously things take a turn and the truth comes out in a very definitive way. Claire and Knightly had become closer (and intimate which I think was unnecessary for this story) when this happen and she makes him see the errors of his actions, but...I just couldn't see their relationship as truly emotional.

I think the author used a few situations to clarify the social class disparities, the unfairness of certain things and I do like this serious side, but I will confess the whole thing lost sense in my regard, when Claire, after so many years doing what was right so society could respect her at least, let herself be placed in a position where her ethics would be challenged... in fact, it's never her fault, but Knightly's because of his silly games, but she is the one whose reputation is questioned. This annoyed me to no end, because it didn't have to happen this way. Also, perhaps more pages could have made their relationship and their awareness in regards to those around them develop in a more believable pace and this would not be an issue anyway.

As expected, all ends well and what we imagine in the beginning turns out to be what happens, but I can't say the path was that smooth, things just happen too quickly or too inconsistent. Since the stories are this small, I will likely read the next one at some point but yes, my expectations will be lower now.
Grade: 6/10

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a group of governesses trying to put enough money aside to eventually opening their own school, but I don't know that I could suspend my disbelief for having an earl posing as a tutor (or in any commoner capacity) just to "escape his reputation in the city". If and when peers needed to do this, they would either go "rusticate in the country" (meaning, spend time in one of their estates), or take a trip to the continent.

    So that part of the premise is already making my eye twitch.

    Also, as you said, short stories tend to have a harder time selling the romance, and more so when you have extra plot threads--the governesses banding together, the earl being a tutor, and so forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Yes, a lot of things for such a short text...
      I don't mind the "in disguise" trope, but here I don't think the reasons and behavior were in par with the earl's true need... it felt like a game and Claire calls him on that when she finds out. I just think... could he always be trusted, even though he redeems himself?

      Delete