Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Meljean Brook - Demon Angel

Half-demon, half-human, Lillith is bound by a bargain with the devil and forbidden to feel pleasure. She draws upon her dark powers and serpentine grace to lead men into temptation. That is, until she faces her greatest temptation, Heaven's own Sir Hugh Castleford. Once a knight and now a Guardian, Hugh's purpose has always been to thwart Lillith, even as he battles treacherous hunger for her. When a deadly alliance unleashes a threat to humans and Guardians angel and demon are forced to fight together against evil and against a passionate desire for each other.

Comment: I had this book in the pile since 2010, a time when I was still very much invested in paranormal romance, and I thought the premise to be captivating.

Hugh and Lilith have been in opposed sides of a war between Heaven and Hell for centuries but deep down they both want something out of the other. Lilith wants to defeat Hugh and he wants to somehow redeem her. It seems their battle will be never ending, at least until a mutual threat makes it necessary for them to join forces. Will such an alliance be the way they needed to finally learn more about one another and see what has always been in front of them?

I have read several books by this author, from her other series, and have liked all those stories. I was also, at a time, eager to read the Guardians series, in which this Demon Angel is included, and even more so when it seemed there were many installments to look for. Still, despite getting this book before the others, somehow I got to them first and this one stayed behind. And stayed....

Now, sixteen years later, I've finally decided to start it. Sadly, it ended up being a DNF because I just could not get into the story. Not surprising, as often happens in a situation like this, time and my personal taste have evolved and I no longer feel the patience to read this genre as I used to. I mean, I still like PNR but now the story has to be something extra for me to want to immerse myself in such a new world. Had I read this back then I might have liked it, but now I simply don't feel the vibe.

I've read 110 pages and they were all of Lilith and Hugh on a cat and mouse game, kind of, and while the possibilities seemed intriguing, I just didn't want to read the huge amount of pages left (my paperback edition had more than 400 total) to see them get their HEA. So, I've stopped and glimpsed the end. I think the writing is competent and captivating, but the characters didn't convince me, not in the way they were being developed.

This author published her last book under this name in 2014. She has voiced how difficult it has been to find motivation and eagerness to write the stories fans were waiting for in the ongoing series she had. After that she has written other things under a pseudonym, which I have not read. Perhaps she will never return to these worlds, but her stories are always incredible, that's a fact. It's just my poor timing that cannot appreciate this Demon Angel.
Grade: DNF

No comments:

Post a Comment