Thursday, August 6, 2026

Mini - Comments

I brought both these books from the library the last time I went there. Both are by writers whose books I had previously read and I had good expectations about how much I'd enjoy these too.


Offering to the Storm by Dolores Redondo is the final installment in a trilogy I've started months ago and now I finally had the chance to finish. The story is centered on inspector Amaia Salazar who, throughout the three books, investigates a series of crimes and some are very much connected, as we discover here. At the same time we follow her personal life and the challenges she faces, especially since she is a recent mother. To spice things up, the stories are very set on local legends and mythology, which is fun and sometimes a little creepy. 
I liked this story and I've liked how things end, in terms of plot. I cannot say that the real mastermind of everything was a surprise, and perhaps the author could have linked the final explanations better than she did, but a few decisions this character did caused enough trauma, that's a fact. I also liked the experience of reading, even though I wasn't always happy with the main character, because the whole mythology and many little references to countless details made me curious. I think this final book was done well enough and one day I'll try to see the streaming series that was based on these books.
Grade: 8/10


Inventário da Solidão by João Tordo could be translated into "inventory of loneliness" and it is the tale of a man, a psychologist, who travels back to England to attend the funeral of an old college friend. While this happens, he reminiscences a lot and lets us know what made him do certain things and make certain decisions.
As all the books by this author seem to be, also this one is very rich in cultural and literary references, which I bet is the author's personal little game in having fun writing his books. I like going through them, as well as the philosophical questions, the psychological concepts... I think this is the author's strongest point. As always, the narrator is a man, whose voice we follow on first person and this, sometimes, seems great, but others makes the story seem a little annoying because while all the narrators this author wrote are clever and incredible, they are also irritating and I sometimes wish they could make better options, such as in this specific book.
In spite of this, I'll certainly keep on reading his books...
Grade: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment