Monday, September 21, 2026

Mini - Comments

The following two books don't motivate me enough to write much about them, but I like the idea of having a coordinated diary....


Os Dias Contados by João Tordo could be literally translated as "days measured" or more freely as "deadline looming". It's another book featuring known characters from a thriller series, whose books I have read before featuring a problematic police inspector. The thing is, this one is a sort of prequel about the inspector's early days in this job. 
I admit that I wasn't too keen on it because it felt like it highlighted all the elements I liked the least about her character and behavior. The plot is interesting and, as always, the philosophical descriptions and musings were my favorite part, but the details of the story not really. 
Inspector Pilar investigates how the eastern Europe gangs and human trafficking business are related to a musician who has an accident while failing to sky in Sierra Nevada and his 11 year old son. I'm not a fan of the human traffic subject in books, no matter what it is too depressing and makes me angry, which stops me from enjoying the stories, and here the same happened. I will admit to say that I probably won't think much about this one in the future.
Grade: 5/10


Luck and Last Resorts by Sarah Grunder Ruiz ended up being a DNF. I had planned to read it for the TBR Challenge post in this month of September but I only read 63 pages (out of 260 more less in my ebook edition) before I realized I was not able to connect and that would probably lead into a very negative rating. Thus, I chose to DNF and try something else.
The story is the second in a trilogy (I have not read the first book) about characters who work at a cruise ship and the heroine Nina is back for another tour, but this time another crew member is her ex Ollie. I mean, from what is hared I inferred they weren't really a couple, only friends with benefits but whose feelings run deeper than Nina admitted.
In these 63 pages, I read a few about how Ollie and Nina met years ago when she applied for the job, a few other pages were about the present day in which she is resentful of her best friend leaving the cruise work and annoyed that Ollie is back, and a few other pages of when she and Ollie started working together, as well as her best friend, and how interactions were. 
Having the narrative jumping around and having a frustrated Nina made me annoyed too and I didn't want to continue. On one hand, this was perhaps unfair and since we had enough hints at what a complicated youth Nina had (she was a gymnastic who hurt herself and her father stole her money?) I think maybe I would like to see where she would go, but the lovers reunited part of the romance failed to entice me. Therefore, on to other things.
Grade: DNF

No comments:

Post a Comment