Thursday, October 8, 2026

Rachel Reid - The Shots You Take

After moving back to his hometown ten years ago, Riley Tuck thought he had left his major league hockey career—and his broken heart—far behind. But when an unexpected tragedy strikes, it brings ex-teammate and former best friend with benefits Adam Sheppard back into his life.
Coming to the small town of Avery River, Nova Scotia, might have been a mistake. Adam’s not sure he’ll ever win back Riley’s trust after the way they left things—and the attention he’s getting as a huge hockey star isn’t exactly helping. Yet the chemistry that crackles between them is undeniable, even now.
As Adam helps Riley navigate his grief, long-buried feelings start to resurface. But they’ll have to square off with their complicated past if they’re going to have a real shot at a new beginning.

Comment: Like many other readers, I've been a fan of the Game Changers series by this author. Since last year, with the TV show based on those books, two of them in particular, becoming a viral phenomenon, it seems the eagerness and the obsession won't stop, especially with the upcoming second season, set to be ready in 2027, and the publishing of a new book in that series also next year.
Thus, my interest in Rachel Reid's writing continues and that is why I've picked this book, which is a standalone.

Riley and Adam were best friends and roommates during their rookie seasons as professional hockey players. They have also been incredibly attracted to one another and fooled around until Riley confessed his feelings. Adm, however, wasn't ready to be himself and they drifted apart, especially when Riley was traded to another team. Now, many years after, Riley's dad died and Adam felt he had to attend the funeral, at least to pay his respects to someone he admired. He also wants to try to med things with Riley, now that he finally accepted he his gay and that his life has not been as easy as everyone thinks, considering his fame in the hockey world. But Riley hasn't had it easy either and he still feels a lot of resentment. Is there any way for a second change between them to end up in happiness?

This story features a second chance romance which isn't my favorite trope, to be honest. If not by this author, I might skip it, but I also trusted the writing and hoped it would be as captivating as I have seen in the others books by mrs Reid I've tried. I knew it would not be the same as the Game Changers installments, but I still thought this might surprise me.

This isn't an easy book, though, in the sense that the majority of the novel is about the protagonists being in opposed sides of their memories and things aren't simple for them. Their youth was rich in experiences, mainly regarding their hockey careers, but while they were intimate and close, Riley would have been ready to commit to Adam but Adam was not. The thing is, intellectually I can understand both their POVs and I cannot say Adam was a villain in this situation, even though his attitude was horrible. I think only someone going through such doubts would know how to describe it but I can understand Adam's lack of maturity to see what was happening.

This said, of course that for a romance novel, Adam's attitude seems nonredeemable. This is made even more apparent because we know Riley suffered a lot and dealt with depression and anxiety and many other emotions once he realized Adam would not be the person he wanted then. Again, i can certainly see his side too and I could more easily commiserate with his feelings, especially the impotence of changing Adam's mind when Riley wanted. Things between them were great until they weren't and I think the author really presented this quite well.

When the story begins, Riley has just lost his father, so that is another layer to add to his state of mind and the tone of the book was, until a certain point, rather bleak. Things seemed quite negative and the rehashing of their past and failed communication and so on really highlighted the main reason why I tend to avoid this trope. Still, slowly, chapter after chapter things change between them, they talk and obviously the roots of romance that have always existed between them come to life again. It was sometimes sweet but, honestly, that isn't the word I think of in regards to this novel.

Of course not all books have to be great epic romances (like Shane and Ilya's from Heated Rivalry end up being for me) but this was a much more serious story than what I imagined. Nothing wrong with it but it isn't as warm and cozy as the Game Changers books are to me, even allowing for serious issues dealt with there too. The tone in this book is simply that, a lot more contemplative. The end is as happy and sweet, though, and I liked it that Riley and Adam found a way to finally be as happy as they deserve, considering their heartfelt dedication to one another. But, honestly again, it's not a story I will feel eager to re-read.
Grade: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment